jeevesme@hotmail.com

Re: Bridging bug

This entire time I really thought I sucked at dialing my bridging in. After seeing this thread, and looking at it more closely, this is exactly why my bridging sucks so bad. Im using other software more and more. Starting to seem like the $150 was a waste.
Rebekah_harper

Hiya,

I have a number of speed issues and therefore am having to edit the GCode file directly.

If you do a CTRL F in notepad and type in bridge you will find the layer containing it. then adjust the perimeter speed that precedes it. you can see the speed value for the bridge so you can use that for the perimeter.
pbmax

Rebekah_harper wrote: If you do a CTRL F in notepad and type in bridge you will find the layer containing it. then adjust the perimeter speed that precedes it. you can see the speed value for the bridge so you can use that for the perimeter.
Unfortunately speed is just one part of it. Extrusion override is a bit more difficult to manually calculate and it's critical to effective bridging.
scobo

Just discovered this bug for myself, unfortunately.
Come on devs, get it sorted please !
Elegoo Neptune 4
Slicers - Simplify3d, Cura
3D modelling - 123D Design, Mesh Mixer
3d scanners - Rivopoint Mini and Pop 2
emkay

Wow. I just created a redundant post about this and contacted support as well. Didn't know how to search for it. Can't believe this has been an issue for this long. This is an advertised feature that simply does not work. Bridging overrides are only half implemented if they don't adjust perimeters as well. This has been driving me crazy for a while trying to find out why regardless of overrides, the overhangs were terrible. Only discovered by setting the whole part to the settings that bridging was supposed to. Needless to say, that's not a workaround since it negatively affects the whole print.

Essentially, no matter what part of the bridging feature you use, we'll still end up with issues for however many perimeters are chosen. Even more significant for areas with many perimeters and little infill. We have no way of getting good bridging there. Simplify3D, please fix this. I'm sure this has to be a high priority item since it's a major feature that's not just broken, but was never actually finished/implement fully.

Thank you,

Marc
pbmax

emkay wrote:Wow. I just created a redundant post about this and contacted support as well. Didn't know how to search for it. Can't believe this has been an issue for this long. This is an advertised feature that simply does not work. Bridging overrides are only half implemented if they don't adjust perimeters as well. This has been driving me crazy for a while trying to find out why regardless of overrides, the overhangs were terrible. Only discovered by setting the whole part to the settings that bridging was supposed to. Needless to say, that's not a workaround since it negatively affects the whole print.

Essentially, no matter what part of the bridging feature you use, we'll still end up with issues for however many perimeters are chosen. Even more significant for areas with many perimeters and little infill. We have no way of getting good bridging there. Simplify3D, please fix this. I'm sure this has to be a high priority item since it's a major feature that's not just broken, but was never actually finished/implement fully.

Thank you,

Marc
Agreed, a lot. Thank you for contacting support directly!

Unfortunately at least 2 releases have come and gone since I contacted support a while back, and others did so before me. It doesn't seem like they really care very much about this. :(
mroek

I am actually thinking that S3D might be more or less abandonware at this point. There is a person or two answering support questions by email, but I am seriously doubting they are doing any active development of neither features nor bug fixes. Given the popularity of the software, they are still raking in money, and the owners earn more if they don't have to pay developers.

If this is not the case, I am still quite sure they are short on developers, and that's why there is no (apparent) development. On their web page they have open positions both for engineers and developers.
gavatron3000

hmmm 2 years on and still no word, everything else works beautifully. such a bummer. i just always add manual supports to perimeters to get round the bug
emkay

Yeah. I've been in contact with them over the last week. The upside is that I've always received a kind response. Unfortunately I'm trying to make sure they understand that this is not a "new feature" request, or a something that "some users would like to have behave differently" (or similar received statements). Instead, it is a feature that is designed to do one thing: allow you to address issues related to bridging. And it does not do that. Now or when it was released as a feature. It has to identify perimeter bridges in order to solve most issues related to bridging. Or else we will always have problems in those areas and be left with an incomplete paid feature.
ojmalik

Fixed in v4! Yay!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”