razster

Re: Version3.1.1 Any improvements from requests?

3Drasle wrote:Nothing worth mentioning.
Shouldn't a x.x.1 release be focused on fixes and stability? I had 3 major bugs with 3.1.0 that I probably emailed their support team about at least a dozen times. In particular the slow dense support structure stuff was a total deal breaker for me. The 3.1.1 update fixed all 3 of my issues with 3.1.0, so it's exactly what I would want from a x.x.1 release.

I'm sure they're going to include more big features and stuff with 3.2 or 4.0. I mean just go back and look at what they did with 3.0.

Also, I for one am quite happy they continue to support new printers. If they stopped doing that, it pretty much guarantees that I wouldn't be able to use the software 2-3 years from now. So I hope they keep doing that every release.
wirlybird

razster wrote:
Shouldn't a x.x.1 release be focused on fixes and stability? I had 3 major bugs with 3.1.0 that I probably emailed their support team about at least a dozen times. In particular the slow dense support structure stuff was a total deal breaker for me. The 3.1.1 update fixed all 3 of my issues with 3.1.0, so it's exactly what I would want from a x.x.1 release.

I'm sure they're going to include more big features and stuff with 3.2 or 4.0. I mean just go back and look at what they did with 3.0.

Also, I for one am quite happy they continue to support new printers. If they stopped doing that, it pretty much guarantees that I wouldn't be able to use the software 2-3 years from now. So I hope they keep doing that every release.

Good points.
3Drasle

razster wrote:

And, still nothing worth mentioning.
Good for you that you are happy with the development of Simplify3D.
/Michael, Denmark
erniehatt

Doug, that's a sure way of putting bad ideas into there heads.
dennisjm

I for one have been waiting since early version 2 editions for them to simply fix the memory leaks when you parse models for printing. Here we are a few years later and still nobody has figured out how to run a profiler and find out why S3D takes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Gigs of memory until at some point my machine grinds to a halt and I realize I forgot to do the restart S3D thing on my regularly scheduled interval.

I keep seeing the post that says they're hiring. I guess it's because they don't have anyone there who knows how to find and fix memory issues. ;)

Not to sound too harsh though. S3D is great and it's saved my so many hundreds of hours. I parse and print a lot of models and don't have time to wait around for other software to figure out how to slice the model every time.
greybeard

FYI - I was curious and tested leaking on a large model using version 3.1.0. with iMac, El Capitan 10.11.6, 16G Ram

Attached are 6 data points (image attached):
1 - booted S3D without loading a model
2 - imported a large model (threads and memory use increased)
3 - no activity by me but threads and memory slightly changed
4 - prepare to print (threads and memory increased)
5 - Removed model (threads and memory reduced - not fully)
6 - All threads closed and memory recovered - not shown because it cleared from Activity monitor

To someone's point - been using s3d since early version of 2.0 - for me, it offers only a slight advantage over Repetier Host with slicer (in fact, only advantage is (was) for custom Supports but, even that's 'buggy'. I use the Stand-alone version of "Netfabb Free" for repairing (if s3d reports model problems)
Attachments
Memory Test
Memory Test
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
jeevesme@hotmail.com

Yeah, another super-awesome update! *makes fart noise with armpit*
wirlybird

I have now found that if I run any "repair" with this version that when I click prepare to print it crashes and closes. It does not do this in the last version.

On one of the new printer profiles there is a known issue with USB printing and a known fix yet they did not change this setting in the published profile. This is just ridiculous.
If you are creating a profile for a new printer and a problem is found then through testing a solution is found why would you not incorporate it into the new profile?
mroek

wirlybird wrote:I have now found that if I run any "repair" with this version that when I click prepare to print it crashes and closes. It does not do this in the last version.
I can't reproduce that. Do you have a factory file?
CompoundCarl

Please make a new topic to talk about this stuff. It's very confusing to have all of this in one thread.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”