MemeGuy

Simplify3D on a Raspberry Pi

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to install and fully use Simplify3D on a Raspberry Pi 3. I would be connecting it to a screen so it'd be sort of like Mattercontrol but better (if it's possible).
CompoundCarl

Re: Simplify3D on a Raspberry Pi

I don't think there's an ARM version
3ddp

Simplify3D Raspberry Pi printer host

It would be useful to have the G-code portion or a type of machine control panel linked with Simplify3D that was ran off of a Pi. Skipping the whole process of uploading files to third party wireless printer hosts such as AstroPrint, MatterCloud/T10, or Octopi, (which I've never been able to get the WiFi portion to work, and moved to AstroPrint since it's nice and straightforward to setup.)

Basically a Simplify3D Pi Based printer host.
Pezzman74

Re: Simplify3D Raspberry Pi printer host

I would love that feature too.
KMyers

+1 - I too would love to see this. It would eliminate the need for me to have a dedicated desktop computer connected to my 3D printer. I would just send the sliced GCode to OctoPrint but I like the controls that Simplify3D offers while a print is in progress.
bpopp

I wrote a small Windows app to do this w/ my Octoprint running on Rasberry Pi over wifi. Works great for me:

https://github.com/bpopp/OctoprintUploader/releases
MattOlsen

+1

I also think that a Raspberry Pi based Simplify3D printer host would be great. I have a limited edition 5" AstroBox Touch from their Kickstarter campaign, I actually use it with my 7" Official RPi touchscreen and it works quite well. ( https://store.astroprint.com/collection ... 3d-printer ) But at a cost of $199 for a 3.5" AstroBox Touch (ABT) I would really prefer a Simplify3D host RPi.

goldengears5 was nice enough to make a tutorial to automatically, wirelessly, upload Gcode from Simplify3D when it is saved. ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2612143 ). While this is a nice step in the right direction, I would still prefer a Simplify3D, RPi based host.

When I first got my ABT, my Simplify3D Gcode exhibited some strange behavior when I updated to S3D 4.0. I initially thought this was a quirk with S3D 4.0. After adjusting all my S3D profiles I decided to try out a test print with Gcode from before 4.0 with my laptop and S3D as the host. It printed fine. I then tried the same thing but with Gcode from before I adjusted my profiles to eliminate the odd behavior, infill was not meeting up with my perimeters and I had adjusted my infill overlap to 80% just to get good prints. This unadjusted Gcode also printed fine when using S3D as my printer host, even after the 4.0 update. So I then printed Gcode with my adjusted profile and it showed over extrusion where the 80% infill overlap meet with the perimeters. This told me that my ABT was the cause of the infill not meeting up with the perimeters and not the S3D 4.0 update.

Since these problems and troubleshooting test, updates to my ABT have remedied this problem and I can again use my standard profiles for S3D without issue... just good old S3D prints everytime. While everything is going good now, I would still love to have a RPi based S3D host to control and wirelessly run my printer(s). Problems like those I described would be less common or frequent if S3D software was available from slicing, to gcode to hosting the printer... A to Z.

I love S3D, and would really love to see a hardware product with a low cost RPi to enable S3D to host printers. This could be a tangible product, or a software OS package, I would gladly pay for either one. Of course with all of the bells and whistles that S3D is already known for and loved for, it would only make sense to follow this same pattern and apply it to a RPi based host package. My ABT is great, I really do enjoy having a fully functional touchscreen host right at my printer, but I know that S3D could do better... just like you did with your slicing software.
arhi

you want to have as much as "stand alone" printer as you can. printing from your PC running S3D, over network, to RPI (or similar), to printer via USB creates tooooooooo many points of failure ...

what's the point ?! upload the file from s3d to octoprint and let your PC be free to do what you want... why would you have to make your PC useless for days at a time while printing?
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
jwilbourne

I also think that a Raspberry Pi based Simplify3D printer host would be great.
pawelking

Re: Simplify3D on a Raspberry Pi

I made a different request but was told it is same as this one.

I do not want to control the printer from RPI.
I just want to use S3D on RPI 4 64 bit OS (Ubuntu or RPI OS 64 bit).

Will be able to connect to always running RPI away from home and prepare printing parts and transfer to the printer to start printing when back.

Just assembling Duet 2 Wifi based Delta so there is no need to control the printer from S3D.

Return to “Feature Requests”