jangrewe

[ADDED] Dense Support Layer at Bottom (Solid / Brim)

I'm in love with your supports and the dense top layer feature, but because there is such a minimal amount of support material (especially for small columns), i have a hard time getting the support to stick well enough for higher support structures.

I'd love to be able to get (semi-)solid layer at the bottom of the support (like a raft, but just for the support), as a brim for is probably a bit tricky, so the probably easiest to achieve solution: create a dense layer also at the bottom of the support.
CompoundCarl

Re: Dense Support Layer at Bottom (Solid / Brim)

I've done this before by just creating 2 processes. You make the first process so it is only used for the first layer (for example, enable "stop printing at height" with a value of 0.2mm). Then have the second process print everything else (enable "start printing at height" of 0.2mm). That way the first process is only used for the first layer, and the second process is used for everything else.

Then just go in and change the support infill percentage of the first process to 100%. Now you will get a solid layer at the bottom of your supports, and then normal supports for all layers after that.
dennisjm

The dense support layers feature prints up to whatever (100%) thickness at the bottom before starting the normal support density but it seems it only does this if the support is not from the platform.

It would be nice if you could have more options
* dense support at bottom -> from platform or just on model parts or off
* dense support on top -> number of layers (as is works fine)
S3D-Jason

This feature has now been added in version 4.0. Click "Edit Process Settings", go the Supports tab, and change the Support Base Layers. For example, changing the Support Base Layers to 2 would create 2 completely solid layers at the bottom of your supports, which can be a big help for adhesion. There is a photo of the result of this feature towards the bottom of this page:
https://www.simplify3d.com/software/rel ... ion-4-0-0/

Thank you for the great request!

Return to “Feature Requests”