mikedehaan

[Solved] Print Quality Issue on Smaller Print

I'm very new to the 3D printing world, but I've read over most of the documentation and I can't seem to figure this out.

I'm printing with a Taz 6 using eSun PLA Filament. I can't seem to get a good print on these models.

I've attached my factory file and the two models in case they might help illuminate the problem. I used the "Generate Automatic Supports" option, but the supports bind a little to much to the model surface (effectively ruining it). The images I've attached show the underside of the prints where the supports attach. I have attempted to remove the supports, but they've merged with the model.

[attachment=0]cyberArms.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]leftArm.jpg[/attachment]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Underside of both arms
Underside of both arms
Image of left arm
Image of left arm
cyberman.zip
Factory File and Models
(229.06 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by mikedehaan on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian442

Re: Print Quality Issue on Smaller Print

Those fingers are going to be quite difficult to print at the end. I would probably print the arm upright, since that will give the best definition for the forearm and fingers. You can point it upward and then lower it a few millimeters below the bed if you need to get a flat surface at the end
kabali16

Like Brian said, this one is kind of difficult to get it right. But, here is what I would suggest,

1. Place the ring's flat base on the bed, have a screenshot attached to show this
2. Support pillar resolution -> 1.0
3. Infill -> Max -~80%
4. Layer height- 0.1 or lower if possible
5. if printing with PLA, fan speed should be max.

Taz 6 is definitely not be my first choice as the nozzle is 0.5mm there. 0.4mm or lower would do a decent job IMO.
Attachments
forumpostmike.jpg
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint
mikedehaan

Well, those changes definitely resulted in the best print of this I've had so far. Though no matter what, the supports are ruining whichever side they're on.

I tried printing vertically to decrease the amount of support structures needed, and while the print was going well (ignoring some obvious retraction issues), I neglected to supply a sufficient brim and the print came loose from the bed. I don't think I'll be running that test again. Not until I clean some things up first at least.

I'm going to put printing smaller detailed items on hold for the time being and try again when my 0.35mm nozzle arrives (this Friday).
mikedehaan

Since my last post, I built a new extruder with a 0.3mm nozzle. I printed one of the arms again using:

Layer Height: 0.1mm
Dense Support Layers: 3
Dense Infill Percentage: 100%
Extra Inflation Distance: 3mm

...and the difference is amazing. The nozzle alone was significant enough, but the Dense Infill Percentage fixed the rough model surface I was getting anywhere the support structure made contact.
Previous best print (before making changes).
Previous best print (before making changes).
Latest print (after changes)
Latest print (after changes)
I learned a lot from this post about which settings affect the support performance:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2135

I'm pretty satisfied with the quality at this point. I might continue to make changes (including testing higher quality filament - maybe an even smaller nozzle), but I think my initial concerns have been addressed.

Thanks for the Help!!!!
kabali16

Re: [Solved] Print Quality Issue on Smaller Print

great job. thanks for sharing the before and after photos
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”