Fallen Munk

Exterior seam

On a hollow part, I have a seam on the outside while the inside is near perfect. At the end of a layer, the Z retracts and starts the new layer on the exterior perimeter shell. I want it to start on the interior shell instead. I've checked the outline direction "inside-out" box and it does the same seam as the "outside-in" box. No difference. I'm assuming it is because there is only one outline/perimeter shell?

Anyone have an idea how I can get the layer to start on the inside of this hollow part?
brian442

Re: Exterior seam

If you only have a single outline perimeter, than I'm not sure what you mean by "inner seam". The inside-out vs outside-in option controls the order that the perimeters are printed in, so you would need to have 2 or more perimeters to see a difference with that setting
wirlybird

If I print a cylinder with one perimeter (non-vase mode) then it is not bad but go beyond that and I have the exact same issue and it drives me nuts. I print a cylinder and the seam on the inside is perfect while the seam on the outside is a mess.
I see the exact same behavior as he describes on nozzle travel. It doesn't seem to matter if you print inside-out or outside-in.

Retraction settings, negative restart etc. can help but it never goes away.

I can do the same print on the same printer with Slic3r and the seam is much better (not complimenting Slic3r here!!) because it just prints it differently.
Fallen Munk

brian442 wrote:If you only have a single outline perimeter, than I'm not sure what you mean by "inner seam". The inside-out vs outside-in option controls the order that the perimeters are printed in, so you would need to have 2 or more perimeters to see a difference with that setting
That's what I was afraid that setting meant. :( I've adjusted my settings and I've gotten it much better but the interior seam is still slightly better for some reason.
georgei

One way that I have found to get rid of the seam is to disable the "Force retraction between layers" in the advance menu.
Fallen Munk

georgei wrote:One way that I have found to get rid of the seam is to disable the "Force retraction between layers" in the advance menu.
Just tried that based on your suggestion. That looks like scar tissue. Probably because I'm using wipe during retraction. No retraction with wipe is probably a bad idea for this print.
Hannahmae23

Is there a way to change the outline/ perimeter shell layers to the inside instead of the outside?
S3D-Jake

Hannah,

The outline printing sequence is alterable using the Outline direction toggle for inside-out / outside-in toggle in the layer tab.

More on layer tab settings: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1941
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”