bolsoncerrado

Re: Tip of the Day 30 - Using 3DTouch, CubeX,CubePro and Rap

How long does it take for a 1.8MB BFB file to be converted to cubepro? it's been already a long while and screen is still showing "this may take a couple minutes"....

Running VMWare Windows 7 1Gb RAM window and native CodeX 32bit version....
rbien1

Hello,
I have gotten some great prints with the Simplify3D slicer.
I posted my settings on my blog site, and created versions for CubeX Single, Duo, Trio.
Feedback on improvements are always welcome.

http://cubex3dprinting.blogspot.com/

Or just google "cubeX blog".

Rick
Rassilon50

Hi,
Does anyone else have a problem when printing with PLA?

Each time I try to use Simplify 3D with PLA it jams my nozzle and I have to remove the thing and clear out the extruder gears.

Anyone else got that problem? and a resolution?

thanks

M.
brian442

Unfortunately, these machines tend to jam a LOT. You can try running the print slower, cleaning the bowden tube, or using slower retraction settings to see if that helps, but I think a lot of it is just due to the poor extruder design. So it's hard to completely avoid it.
Rassilon50

It's just I dont get any jams with either PLA / ABS using their own software (its about the only plus to it)

So I just wondered if anyone else had that problem with PLA? I wonder if its running too hot? But Im using the prebuilt profile that comes with S3D, which is definitely lower temperatures that the ABS.

However, my PLA is over a year old, would that make a difference?
MichaelHerron

The CubePro does jam ALOT. There are 3 main factors that influence this frequency.

These all apply for unmodified units, if they still exist out there..

1. The chamber heater should absolutely be turned OFF for PLA.
2. The aluminum extruder body conducts a HUGE amount of heat from the stepper motor into the filament area. This heat can soften the material before it reaches the hot-end. THIS CAUSES LOTS OF JAMS--ESPECIALLY when coupled with #1.
3. There is a LOT of tubing for the extruder to pull filament thru. If the heater is on and the filament is softened by the extruder, there is less chance for the machine to pull the filament through the tubing.

Adding cooling to the extruder helps--just a small amount of airflow on the motor/extruder help significantly, but reducing the chamber temp (and maybe keeping the door open and top panel off) will help with PLA.

Also be sure the hot-end fans are working. If these fail, no filament will feed.
Mythandar

I don't know if everyone is aware of this but there's a much faster alternative to CodeX now. It's not my project but I heard about it here or on another forum.

https://github.com/fritzw/cube-utils

It says on the GitHub page how to use it. It truly is as fast as it says.
bolsoncerrado

Just in case any Cube3/Pro owners read this thread, the firmwares have been hacked to allow third party filament 8-) :D

More details here!
Rassilon50

bolsoncerrado wrote:Just in case any Cube3/Pro owners read this thread, the firmwares have been hacked to allow third party filament 8-) :D

More details here!

Has anyone tried this!?
bolsoncerrado

Me and many others, of course ;)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”