Rotarypower101

How do I generate threaded cross sections that will print ?

In solidworks I have the attributes assigned, understanding that solidworks does not show the threaded sections to save computational power while viewing the model.

How do I make the cross-sectional area of the .STL file relevant to print, as I do not see anything that indicates a threaded cross section on this .STL model when dropped into a slicer as well ?

Is there an accommodation that must be made to allow the cross sectional area of a thread to be generated for a .STL file?
tenaja

Re: How do I generate threaded cross sections that will prin

I don't know what it is called in SW, but in my CAD it is called a revolve cut.
greybeard

My SolidWorks is old and doesn't include new features.
The threads my version makes are strictly cosmetic - sound's like yours are too.
Threads for printing need to be solid-model geometry. Thus, I model threads when I need them.

There are many sources for proper thread geometry but, if your only interest is threads for mating plastic parts without need to mate to 'real' threads, you can model many different thread forms... from plain stupid to properly engineered.. a bit og Google'ing will help you with that.

As previously posted - you'll need a revolved cut (or revolved boss).

Lastly, here's a tip: Consider making a Bolt (or rod) with threads, then, use it to model a 'Mold' cavity in solidworks. Of course, the mold part should start with the shape of the mating part, such as a Nut.

I chase the threads with a bottom-tap or a die (if external thread).

[added 3/8-16 bolt]
[added FactoryFile]

FYI - a word about the attached STL

Printed results will vary depending on:
Material & shrinkage
Print parameters (particularly the Flow Multiplier)
Machine/accuracy
Zits/Blobs/Strings…

I print threaded parts with 4 shells because chasing with Tap/Die will cut into the wall - thus, ensure you have enough material to remove.

If making threads and don’t have Tap/Die, you can scale one part in the plane of it’s diameter. But, for $10 you can buy useable (low quality)Tap/Die sets at Harbor Freight
Attachments
Bolt_3_8_16.factory
FactoryFile
(1000.79 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Bolt_3_8_16.STL
3/8-16 Bolt
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Printed & Chased
Printed & Chased
Last edited by greybeard on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Rotarypower101

greybeard wrote:
Lastly, here's a tip: Consider making a Bolt (or rod) with threads, then, use it to model a 'Mold' cavity in solidworks. Of course, the mold part should start with the shape of the mating part, such as a Nut.

I chase the threads with a bottom-tap or a die (if external thread).

[added 3/8-16 bolt]

Thats a great idea.

While I can model this, is there perhaps a repository of such thing for use ?

The thread I am trying to use is a somewhat non standard 3/4-12 , but I assume that most would have already been modeled and perhaps there is a specific place where a person could find such a thing?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”