zappa79

PETg with PVA support material

Hi,

I have a flashforge dreamer with dual heads, and I am trying to print a model in PETg with PVA for support material and raft.
It all goes well as I print the raft, but as soon as it starts to print PETg from the right extruder it clogs up.

The setup is as follows..
PETg in the right extruder (Main one): Print speed 50mm, Extruder temp 210C
PVA in the left extruder: Print speed 50mm, Extruder temp 195C
Bed temperature: 50C

What am I doing wrong?
I am new to 3D printing, and especially to Simplify3D.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
kabali16

Re: PETg with PVA support material

Did you check the retraction distance ? Are they different for both filaments ? Are you able to print if you only use the PETG extruder ? try printing all the items once with the single extruder first.

I have only seen the PVA nozzle clog often. its strange that it is happening with PETG. Another thing to check is if the extruder has reached the target temperature
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint
zappa79

kabali16 wrote:Did you check the retraction distance ? Are they different for both filaments ? Are you able to print if you only use the PETG extruder ? try printing all the items once with the single extruder first.

I have only seen the PVA nozzle clog often. its strange that it is happening with PETG. Another thing to check is if the extruder has reached the target temperature
I had to re-check all the settings and it turned out that the filament setting for the right extruder was set to 3mm instead of 1.75, once I fixed that it was smooth sailing.

However, I do have a couple issues still..
I use (as far as I know) the same settings in S3D as I use in FlashPrint (the slicer that came with Flashforge dreamer) and printing the same model comes out very differently.

First of all the top doesnt seem to come out completly smooth, but have small holes in it and other artifacts (lines) that are not present with the original program.

Second, there should be a small logo printed on the side of the model, and the original program attempts to print it (even if its small and doesnt come out perfect), but S3D just prints a cut out. (please see attached pictures)
Attachments
Logo printed with S3D
Logo printed with S3D
Solid top with original program
Solid top with original program
Logo printed with original program
Logo printed with original program
CompoundCarl

Have you checked the STL file in S3D? If you run the Repair checks for non-manifold and self-intersecting surfaces, does it find any errors?

If so, you might need to repair the model first
zappa79

CompoundCarl wrote:Have you checked the STL file in S3D? If you run the Repair checks for non-manifold and self-intersecting surfaces, does it find any errors?

If so, you might need to repair the model first
I just did, everything checks out..
The strange thing is that when using Flashprint the logo comes out perfectly, but not with simplify3D, it has to be some kind of setting I am missing?
DarthRevan

What happens if you use the Mesh > Separate Connected Surfaces menu option on this part? Sometimes an additional shell is embedded in the STL/OBJ and can better be recognized by slicers if it's seen as an entirely separate model.
dkightley

What happens if you use the Mesh > Separate Connected Surfaces menu option on this part?
My thoughts precisely!!! S3D doesn't handle interlaced meshes at all.

I use the option all the time as my CAD package is not that good at Boolean addition and most of my models have interlaced meshes in them..
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
zappa79

dkightley wrote:
What happens if you use the Mesh > Separate Connected Surfaces menu option on this part?
My thoughts precisely!!! S3D doesn't handle interlaced meshes at all.

I use the option all the time as my CAD package is not that good at Boolean addition and most of my models have interlaced meshes in them..
Interesting, I now got two separate parts, do I just print like that now, or do I have to do anything else?
dkightley

You just print them purely as if they were one part.

The only thing to watch out for after using this function is moving the parts on the bed after the meshes have been separated. You'll need to group them together before moving to stop them from getting out of register.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
zappa79

dkightley wrote:You just print them purely as if they were one part.

The only thing to watch out for after using this function is moving the parts on the bed after the meshes have been separated. You'll need to group them together before moving to stop them from getting out of register.
That actually worket, thanks alot guys :)

Now just to figure our how to make a smooth top and I will be very happy :)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”