holderbm1

Slicer causing z artifacts

Hi guys,

I am running a Rostock Mac V3 delta style printer. I recently switched to Simplify3D because of the higher level of control available.

Doing my first few prints, I noticed a lot of variation in the layers on the part surface. First I assumed it was PID, so I tuned that with no change.

I made a test cube and tried changing temperature, speed, infill, and extrusion multiplier, all with no effect on the rough layers.

I have ruled out anything mechanical because i am having the same problem on both of my V3s.

Finally, I decided to print the same test cube with the old mattercontrol slicer. See the attached photo. With identical settings on both slicers, Simplify3D is giving me a huge surface variance.

I am running PETG at 253C if it matters.

Hoping someone has encountered this before and has some suggestions!

Thanks
Attachments
Right is simplify3d slice
Right is simplify3d slice
CompoundCarl

Re: Slicer causing z artifacts

It looks like the other print is just using aligned start points, so all of the bumps are in a line on one corner. You can do this in S3D too. Just change the start point type on the Layer tab so that all start points are closest to a certain XY coordinate. That way you can choose where all the start points are.
holderbm1

CompoundCarl wrote:It looks like the other print is just using aligned start points, so all of the bumps are in a line on one corner. You can do this in S3D too. Just change the start point type on the Layer tab so that all start points are closest to a certain XY coordinate. That way you can choose where all the start points are.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that later this morning. The ridges do go completely around the print. Why would having unaligned start points cause an entire layer to shift?

Thanks again
holderbm1

Problem is almost completely solved! Carl, your recommendation was spot-on. Apparently the slicer rotates through the 4 corners of the block for start points , and each start point causes a slight ridge on the outside.

Aligning the start points has fixed the cyclical ridges, however there is still one long ridge on the spot where the starting points are aligned. This "starting ridge" is still something that does not happen with my old slicer. Any ideas what would cause this misalignment of the starting point with the rest of that loop?

Thanks again!

Ben
Last edited by holderbm1 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horst.w

What OuteLine-Direction you have set? The best result has Inside-Out.

Regards
horst.w, GER
holderbm1

Thanks for the reply, I do have it set inside-out.

Between adjusting the starting points and retraction settings, I have been able to remove all the artifacts from the print except one.

In the photo, you can see that anywhere that a hole is printed, the layers "bump out" almost a full nozzle width. IT does this every time there is a break in the layer. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Attachments
Photo Feb 14, 6 53 18 AM.jpg
horst.w

I don't believe that is a slicer problem. You can controle it in the Print-Preview, Line by Line. If there is no issue to identify, than the G-Code is ok and S3D has worked fine.

Perhaps a speed-problem? Or losing or skiping over steps?

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... nd-ringing

H.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”