OnlyTono

Add Version Numbers to Models Before Printing

Sometime I print many iterations of a model with slightly tweaked print processes and profiles looking for just the right settings. It can sometime be hard to remember which print was from which settings.

It would be nice if I could have Simplify 3D add a version number to the model. This could be something as simple as an arbitrary set of characters that I could place on the model before I print. That way I don’t have to generate and import a new STL every time I change the print settings. I could just give it a version number and name my profile or process with that name/number.

Options might include:
  • Emboss vs Deboss
  • Position
  • Size
  • Font (this could probably be limited to just a few easy to print fonts if it’s even a choice at all)
  • Extruder choice (i.e. different color or material)
  • Auto Sequence (for when your printing sequential models with different processes)
With this new feature, I’ll be able to better keep track of incremental versions
brian442

Re: Add Version Numbers to Models Before Printing

I'm not sure if this will help you, but every print file you create already has a log of what settings were used for the print. If you open your gcode file in a text editor, you can see all of the settings at the top.

May be useful if you ever want to know what settings were used for a specific print
OnlyTono

Re: Add Version Numbers to Models Before Printing

That's definitely useful. but I'm looking for an easy way to put some sort of physical identifying mark on the print. Like a version number that I could then tie back to a particular file or print profile setting.

Having this "version number" mark on the actual printed piece could also be helpful when dealing with clients. Let's say I print off 4 versions of the same part but each one has a different infill settings, and I need the client to tell me which one they prefer. Visually the parts would have very little if any differences.

In this scenario, I might mark each print (or object) with the a number that represents the infill percentage, i.e.: IF5, IF20, IF50, IF80. With this Version Number printed on the side of the physical print, they would be able to tell me which version they prefer by the number.

Return to “Feature Requests”