sgertsch

Surface printed on top of infill issue

Is there a way to force an outline of an interior surface to to be printed when its layers are printed on top of fills?
interior surface on infill.jpg
interior surface on infill closeup.jpg
Some filament materials (ex. ABS) need to be printed (attached) to something otherwise it draws back like a rubber band.
brian442

Re: Surface printed on top of infill issue

The solid fill will bond to the infill below it, so that will still give it something to hold onto. The outline on top of the infill would have the same characteristics, since it still only has the infill to hold onto, so that's what you have to use either way.

If you aren't getting enough of a bond between the infill and the solid fill, you might want to try increasing the infill percentage a bit. You can use multiple processes in S3D if you want so that you can increase the infill % in different regions. For example, 20% for the bottom of the part, then 40% for the last 3 layers before you hit the solid fill.
smartavionics

Yet another person gets bitten by the "not extending skins far enough into the infill" bug that the S3D devs have known about for coming on for two years now. People say that the devs read these messages, I don't think there's anyone there at all.
brian442

I'm not sure this is the same issue as the one you are referencing. The OP was asking for a way to put an outline around the infill. I think you're talking about extending the solid fill more.

Either way, these are both extra options and I wouldn't call either a bug. Right now, the software puts solid fill exactly where it should based on the layers around it, but I can see how it would be nice if they offer more options in the future for both of these things (particularly for tough materials that tend to contract a lot more)

@sgertsch - did you get to try the options I mentioned?
sgertsch

brian442 wrote:I'm not sure this is the same issue as the one you are referencing. The OP was asking for a way to put an outline around the infill. I think you're talking about extending the solid fill more.

Either way, these are both extra options and I wouldn't call either a bug. Right now, the software puts solid fill exactly where it should based on the layers around it, but I can see how it would be nice if they offer more options in the future for both of these things (particularly for tough materials that tend to contract a lot more)

@sgertsch - did you get to try the options I mentioned?
I am not sure I described the problem accurately by not differentiating between interior and exterior infills. Shouldn't the green lines ( "exposed surface" exterior infill) have "outline/parameter" lines? The lack of the outline is the problem here because in exterior infill line ends are not anchored to something.
PinballGeorgio

smartavionics wrote:Yet another person gets bitten by the "not extending skins far enough into the infill" bug that the S3D devs have known about for coming on for two years now. People say that the devs read these messages, I don't think there's anyone there at all.
BAM, this is a real problem with S3D

But be careful, too much criticism will be read and let you not posting anymore on the forum.
smartavionics

I don't care if they ban me, as long as I can shame them into fixing this idiotic deficiency, then I will consider it well worthwhile.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”