wfcook

Velocity painting

Over in the Google+ 3D Printing group, a guy named Mark Whedon has been experimenting with something he calls Velocity Printing, which basically entails creating images on the surface of a print by varying the print velocity. The vase below is clear PLA with the speeds set to 35 mm/s and 15mm/s. It's very cool and I'd love to have something similar incorporated into Simplify3d... a long shot I know but seriously, this is cool.

https://plus.google.com/+MarkWheadon/posts/Ya345SGoTSn
SPRINGFIELD-JACK

Re: Velocity painting

+1 It has been suggested that this can be done using Modifier Meshes which is another requested feature.
mcamou

I'm wondering if this could be done in a similar way to how dual-extruder is done... 2 models, 2 different processes, only using the same toolhead.
wfcook

mcamou wrote:I'm wondering if this could be done in a similar way to how dual-extruder is done... 2 models, 2 different processes, only using the same toolhead.
No, because the advantage of this technique is that it works without lifting the print head. I believe that with separate processes they are printed in their entirety in a sequential manner.
Criso

+1
The code is available online, could be added as a feature, a bit like making pictures 3D. I don't think it modifies the mesh, because the code processes directly the Gcode, not the STL. So it could be "visible" in the Gcode viewer part.

Either way, I would simply LOVE to see that!
Section31

Interesting. Count me in for a vote :D
brian442

Do most materials actually change color this much when printed at different speeds? I was looking at a few parts that I printed with different speed settings, and the color looked pretty similar between the two..
mroek

I actually disagree that this is a feature the S3D team should spend time on. By all means, it is a cool technique, but I think it is better that they concentrate on the core slicer features and the many high-priority feature requests that needs to be implemented.
vef445

Hello :)
I'm helping out Mark to get his process more accessible to everyone (not all of us can install Perl, dependencies and use a terminal...). I've just built a small UI, packaged into an app for mac and hopefully soon into an exe. If some of you, mac owners, want to give it a try, feel free to ask me here :)

Return to “Feature Requests”