hoegge

Will we ever get any updates, new features and bug fixes?

It seems like updates and bug fixes are not done very often? Nothing new since June 2016 I think it was. I have reported wrong parameter descriptions, wrong unit calculation but also it would be nice if the software received improvements / features now and then considering it is a quite expensive program and a lot of things could be improved like the GUI (which IS a bit messy) and also the support generation where other options should be possible.

There are a lot of great videos on the web site, but the basic explanations of settings in the software are not very good and there is no manual explaining the software and parameters in a consistent way - you have to traverse the website for videos and blog posts to find explanations as a newcomer.

kind regards
Morten
wirlybird

Re: Will we ever get any updates, new features and bug fixes

You are correct and based on the last "upgrade" I would expect not much more than more languages and more printers added to the next big update.

For an expensive piece of software, especially considering there are very good free alternatives, they really seem to be dropping the ball. I would think with 3D printer sales exploding and so many new comers to the "sport" that S3D would be trying to lead the pack with innovation but they really seem to be just limping along.
S3D-Jason

Hey guys! We are actually quite busy right now working on finalizing our next big update, so we will definitely have more to share about that soon. It's going to contain several of our most requested features, so we are just as excited as you are to make it available :)

In addition, I know it's been said here many times, but we have several people on our team that literally read every single post that is made on this forum. So if you've asked for a feature or reported something that you want to see changed, you can be assured that multiple people have already seen and reviewed your request. We constantly use this information to plan our future software updates, so we do truly appreciate the feedback!

Also, just in case you haven't seen it, there's a sticky link at the top of this forum that provides a detailed description of every setting in the software, so if you're looking for more info about a particular option, it might be useful:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
upsm

JasonCS wrote:Hey guys! We are actually quite busy right now working on finalizing our next big update, so we will definitely have more to share about that soon. It's going to contain several of our most requested features, so we are just as excited as you are to make it available :)
thanks for chiming in :)

¿ thin wall ?
JasonCS wrote: We constantly use this information to plan our future software updates, so we do truly appreciate the feedback!
I'm sure it's been said on this forum few times at least but, why don't you make some "WorkLogs" public so we at least know what features you are working on and that something is being worked on? A matrix with "feature" on the Y and "state of development" (ready for next release, in progress, considered for near future, considered for far future, help needed, rejected). I understand you don't have unlimited resources but without *any* feedback from you guy's and releases like last one, it all looks very grim from where we stand :(
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
wirlybird

Thanks for the update.
erniehatt

well finally, Now we know there is someone in the background afterall
3Drasle

I hope the S3D team agree that added printers and languages are NOT updates.
If not, I think it is time to look at alternatives. The free slicers must have developed a lot in the 2 years S3D have stood still.
/Michael, Denmark
JimmyTime

So disappointed, I agree languages and printers don't qualify as updates - features and bug fixes do.
le_avion

JimmyTime wrote:So disappointed, I agree languages and printers don't qualify as updates - features and bug fixes do.
Where did you get the impression that this upgrade will only contain new printers and language?

To me the following quote means that a lot more than the above will be included. Why not just wait and see?
JasonCS wrote:Hey guys! We are actually quite busy right now working on finalizing our next big update, so we will definitely have more to share about that soon. It's going to contain several of our most requested features, so we are just as excited as you are to make it available
S3D-Jason

You are welcome to review what was included in our prior releases at the link below:
https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/

We always try to tackle as many features and improvements as we can, so you can see that it is a long list. Our upcoming update is going to address many popular feature requests on this forum, so we are excited to provide more information about that soon.

As for adding support for new printers, that's something we will always continue to do. Otherwise there would be many 3D printer owners who would not be able to use Simplify3D at all.

Again, we appreciate everyone's patience as we finalize this next update. In the meantime, please try to keep the forum focused on specific features or improvements you would like to see, as our developers constantly review the posts here and that will be much more helpful as they evaluate what functionality to work on next.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”