Lonestar9192

Re: Major bug, x-axis leaning to the right (positive)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:76369/#files

This is what I usually test with, which is an object that I get x and y axis continuous shift. I use the turbo_front_housing download. I have other objects that I drew in auto desk inventor that don't work with s3d. Everything works with repetier and slic3r
Festus440

I'll try to print it and see what happens.

Don't know if it matters but:
Did you use any support?
What was the layer thickness you used?
Lonestar9192

No support, I used .3mm layer height, 35% infill
Binni1969

Hi,
Festus440: I even changed the stl to a solid and saved it then, but with no better results. The box type Thing was competely made by myself in Inventor...
Jetguy: wouldn´t we solve the Problem by adding a ferrit core on the wire from the endstop to the RAMPS-Mainboard?
Festus440

I printed the Turbo Front Housing last night at 0.3 mm and no problem, no leaning. I used the default Leapfrog Creatr dual profile (with only changes to the temperatures)
I also printed it at 0.1 mm and it printed okay too.
So the mystery continues.

I also checked the x-limit switch and it's normally closed and connected to ground when the switch isn't actuated. That doesn't mean it can't be an EMI problem. I spent the last couple of years laying out pc boards to get RF interference out of them and a ground is not necessarily a ground at high frequencies (and pulses can have harmonics that easily go up into RF frequencies).

EMI doesn't explain why other slicers seem to work.

Here is what I would try:
Slice the model in the other software and print it using S3D as the host.
Then slice the model in S3D and print it using Repetier or Cura as the host.
That should provide some insight.

As far as EMI I think the first thing I would try is to remove the spiral wrap at the back of the printer and physically separate the endstop switches wires from the stepper motor wires. If EMI is getting into those wires that "should" help.
plasticHead

Hi

I have been looking at the G code files provided by Binni1969 and I think I can see the cause of the problem. There is a big difference between the G code file made in Simplify 3D and the G code file made in Cura!

The difference is the printing speed of the infill. With Simplify 3D your infill speed is 2600 mm/min(double the outline speed of 1300 mm/min) and with Cura your infill printing speed is 240 mm/min which is 5 times slower than your outline speed of 1200 mm/min. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

If you preview both G code files in Simplify 3D you can see the difference straight away.

I would say your infill speed is far to fast in Simplify 3D and this is causing you to loose steps and that's why your prints are leaning only when you use Simplify 3D and not in Cura or Slic3r

What you need to do is in the Other tab of you FFF settings raise your outline speed to 100% ( so the outline and infill speeds are the same) and then adjust your printing speed so you don't loose steps.

It seems like in Cura and Slic3r ( i don't know I don't use them) but going from the G code, your infill speed can be slower than your outline speed. But in Simplify 3D your infill can only be at the same speed or faster than the outline speed.

I would cautiously suggest that this may be the reason for others also having leaning prints. This explanation seems to fit most of the symptoms being experienced
3Drasle

I had a similar problem long time ago. I think it was caused by a G92 E0 during the print.
My Makerbot hardware and Sailfish only want that at start, else it would skew the print.

Edit: You could try unchecking "allow zeroing of extrusion distances" under the G-code tap...

/Michael
/Michael, Denmark
mfc

I am suddenly having the same issue using Leapfrog creatr and Simplify 3d.

- Rotating the part 90deg does not change it (lean is still in X dir).
- Re-generating STL file with different settings does not help.
- Print seems OK for the 1st cm or so, then the lean starts (see pic).
- I printed other parts last week that were just as tall, but did not see any lean.

Any clues here?
Attachments
showing lean
showing lean
showing overall part geometry
showing overall part geometry
Binni1969

Hi,

will try and report back!
Thank you!
Leary

I'd suggest using a very simple object for testing, such as the 0.5mm-thin-wall from The Essential Calibration set on Thingiverse. This is meant to be a printed with 1 perimeter and 0 infill.

Anyone prints that object and demonstrates the leaning, and then can share the gcode, it would be useful. If that one doesn't do it, then the 50mm-tower from the same calibration set would be another good choice. This object is a solid so uses infill.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”