3Dchill

First layer prints as infill pattern

or at least that's what it looks like, There are spaces between the lines and between the outer shell I really don't like and I don't know how to tweak that. Again, coming from Cura I never saw such a bottom layer printed, the lines there are always glued to each other without a space between the lines. I circled what I mean in this picture:

I was printing PLA with 5 top/bottom layers and 4 shells and a layer size of 0.1mm, but to have it stick better while printing a circle I had to increase 1st layer height to 200% and width to 110% (might've been 150% on this particular print, I'm not sure) - again something I never had (or could) do in Cura. Is this what's causing that gaps? I thought that increasing 1st layer would just print out more material but not space the lines. What I'd like is a smooth bottom without any spaces between the lines, how can I achieve that in S3D?

Looking over my previous prints I sliced with S3D - with 100% 1st Layer height - I noticed now that there are spaces between the lines too. But those were printed with clear HDGlass (PETG) so it didn't bother me. But with solid PLA it looks really bad. I've attached the FFF and factory file, hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Attachments
gaplines.fff
(12.85 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
PanMount.factory
(153.83 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
dkightley

Re: First layer prints as infill pattern

This is a classic example of the extruder being too high for the first layer to print correctly.

I notice you have your Global-Z set at -0.14 already.......lower it down a bit further, say to -0.20 and try printing. Stop the print after half a dozen layers to save material and see what the difference is. Lower it more if required....

As a footnote......increasing the height of the first layer from 100% upwards adjusts the amount of plastic as well as increasing the the height of the nozzle . Reducing the first layer height below 100% just lowers the nozzle...the amount of plastic is not reduced.

PPS For future reference, the factory file contains the profile...so you don't need to supply the profile as well.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
3Dchill

Thank you very much Doug, I just learned a bunch a new things ;)

So this explains also why I suddenly had to lower Global-Z even further. With 100% on 1st layer it was printing fine with -10% and when I toyed around with some settings (like 1L height) I suddenly had to go further down to -14.

Hmm in that case I'll stop increasing the 1L and revert back to my old settings, I never felt that I need to adjust the 1st Layer in Cura and I was satisfied with the results, instead maybe I'll bring Z a bit further down to handle printing in circles. I will make some more prints and see if that worked.

Oh and thanks for the notice about the profile, didn't know that.
3Dchill

Btw, I've got the idea to increase 1st Layer Height from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1941
If your First Layer Height is below 100%, the extrusion amount will remain the same, only the Z-will change, but if you increase above 100%, the extrusion amount will scale accordingly.
That's why I thought that more material will be extruded. Is this info wrong?
dkightley

Hmmmm......I see where you're coming from regarding understanding what's written. I think it's a case of context.

If you're thinking about what happens at the nozzle, then it's pretty straight forward. However, if you're thinking about a solution to a problem with the finished model, then I can see there can be a different interpretation.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Johnm

Hi all, I am using the latest version of Simplify3D. I am tweaking upgrades to my printer and printing a calibration cube. the bottom layers are all printing as squares instead of the Recliner pattern. Most of my prints; the bottom layers are all printed with the recliner pattern. so I have 2 questions here. I am looking for the setting where you can choose between recliner or Concentric pattern for the top and bottom layers. So does anyone know where this setting is located. 2: if I print with 4 bottom layers instead of 2 with this force Simplify3D to print the bottom as the recliner pattern therefore a solid layer. Right now the bottom layer is printed as Squares and therefore do not overlap to create a solid layer. The Walls Seem fine.
Johnm

I was thinking of Solid Layers Infill pattern. it is under infill tab. And it is set toConcentric. so when I set it back to recliner in preview it looks like a solid layer(s) again. Maybe that is your issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”