AbeFM

Outermost Layer Fill Settings

I'd like to see independent control of the Outermost upper/lower shell fill pattern
*Concentric looks great, but leaves huge gaps relative to other slicers.
*Fill patterns line up, so you can see light through the bottom of even large models with many top/bottom layers

By letting the inner top/bottom layers use linear fill, we're a LOT less likely to get failed bridges (my benchies look awesome in other slicers, but have droopy roof in S3D), make for solid looking parts, and still retains the detailed look of the concentric outer pattern.

I can post pics if needed. Thanks!
brian442

Re: Outermost Layer Fill Settings

What do you mean by linear fill? Maybe it would help if you posted some diagrams or screenshots..
AbeFM

This pics are a bit small, you can see better versions at https://goo.gl/photos/YTrp3ihsWZc7Azd96

This closeup of 'Articulated_Piranha_Skeleton' from thingiverse shows S3D on the left, Slic3r on the right. (Object scaled to 66% size, 0.4mm nozzle auto width)

The orange that is poking through is 3 layers deep, and in prints you can often see right through the front and back since all layers are aligned.
The right hand image has the same no-integer-number based gaps, but the VERY next layer (N-1 for an N layered object, similarly layer 2 from the bottom) is rectilinear fill, and provides both a solid, easily bridging surface on the infill to create a flat outer layer - but also closes off holes from the outermost layer.

The top of "KV2-Torreta" from "Tank_KV-2" again from Thingiverse...., sliced at 25% of original STL scale, 0.4mm nozzle auto width
The same issue - you can see gaps in the top surfaces of both, but the second layer plugs the holes in the other slicer.

Alternatively, concentric fills at different angles MAY help, but the issues from bridging non-straight lines on the first of the concentric top layers put down on top of infill obviously leads to hanging strings. I'll do a side-by-side for this and post a pic of that soon,

It's easy to see the drooping on the top section of this Benchy - printed at once with two processes. Please excuse the under-extrusion and stringing, I'm chasing down other problems while writing this one - but the issue has persisted even with these other issues aren't present.

Is there something else I can do to help?
mperdue

After reading this, I have to agree. I don't use concentric fill due to the problems listed here. Being able to use rectilinear fill for all but the last outer layer or two then finishing with concentric would greatly improve the print, I think.
bray.christopher

Would be nice to have a single button that does this. It's not the most important feature upgrade, but it would be nice.
Veyl

I strongly agree with this request. I have had trouble with being able to see all the way through part due to the concentric pattern. I have also had the problem where the concentric pattern falls apart on the top layers and ruins the entire print. I have gone as far as creating multiple processes to force only the top 2 layers to use the concentric pattern when I really wanted that as the top layer finish for the item.
hansksd

I've also seen this effect, which is a shame since concentric outer layers look nicer (IMHO). That said, I'd prefer Simplify3D to be fixed so that it fills in the holes as well. I have a model where there's a long thin gap that's roughly the width of the nozzle diameter. It really should be filled in.

Of course, linear infil for all except the outer layer would help too (at least there wouldn't be a hole right into the middle then).

Hans
FloydPerfect

I would also recommend a feature like this. I would be nice to have a feature for bottom, inner and top of the outer shell.
That means :

- Extern Fill Pattern TOP ( Reclinear, Concentric)
- Extern Fill Pattern INNER ( Rectlinear, Concentric)
- Extern Fill Patern BOTTOM ( Rectlinear, Concentric)

That will solve the problems the guys had before.

Also it gives more strength to some modells with overhangs.

The attached picture is a testpart for a ball bearing. It is printed with the big ring on the botton, so you will need support. ( you are facing the bottom side)
The surface of the bottom of the inner ring comes out best by printing concentric. Anyhow the strength of the structure would be
much better if the next layer of the outer shell could be changed to rectlinear (I am using 3 Outline Shells )
TestBearing.JPG
. I have also attached the STL.
Attachments
BridgeTest.stl
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
lutorm

I was thinking the exact same thing, having the multiple concentric fills with the patterns exactly overlaying is not ideal from a strength perspective (but IS what you want if you are e.g. trying to print a transparent t-glase wall) so it would be great to be able to only use concentric for the external layer.
black_jack53

+1 the idea because i simply had the same after printing a benchy... ;)

the biggest flaws i see with the concentric infill atm are gaps and ignored bridging

Return to “Feature Requests”