jfkansas

Re: Release updates?

Yes, for the version you have. Terms of service can be changed and most likely will for version 4.

You could just continue to use version 3 forever.
jfkansas

Helllooooooo???? its been almost a month now. lol
wirlybird

jfkansas wrote:Helllooooooo???? its been almost a month now. lol
You know it takes them a while to get all of those new printers added and all of the new languages in there!! Must be a lot of them to be able to give it a new version number!
cosmith71

jfkansas wrote:Problem is the "free" options work, but they aren't close to S3d in functionality and customizability.
That's only partially true. Slic3r has had Octoprint integration for some time and has variable layer height (Prusa edition), S3D has neither (a hack doesn't count). I love S3D, but as a hobbyist my tolerance for paid upgrades is low when a very good free alternative is available.
upsm

cosmith71 wrote:I love S3D, but as a hobbyist my tolerance for paid upgrades is low when a very good free alternative is available.
Making upgrades cost money is sure way to kill the product completely
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
billyd

upsm wrote:
cosmith71 wrote:I love S3D, but as a hobbyist my tolerance for paid upgrades is low when a very good free alternative is available.

It's impossible to run a business that way. Why would you expect them to keep building new features and never get paid for them? Would you work for free? You have the version you paid for and can use it without additional cost for as long as you like. If you don't want to pay for a substantial upgrade you don't have to upgrade. Not sure what the issue is.
jfkansas

AndersE wrote:Haven't they said "free lifetime upgrades"? If they charge a upgrade fee, i will feel very dissapointed and angry, because i use it for only hobby.
Might I suggest anger manangement? And a box of tissues.
jfkansas

billyd wrote:
upsm wrote:

It's impossible to run a business that way. Why would you expect them to keep building new features and never get paid for them? Would you work for free? You have the version you paid for and can use it without additional cost for as long as you like. If you don't want to pay for a substantial upgrade you don't have to upgrade. Not sure what the issue is.

I'm actually surprised version 4 will be free. But the terms of service will probably change after this upgrade. It wouldn't be fair to charge for version 4 since the terms of version 3 were free upgrades. Either way I don't think a paid upgrade will be full price of $150, probably will be more like $50-75 or so.
billyd

And that's what they'll likely do, start charging for updates after v4. And I'm fine with that.

I have a hard time believing that people who have the money for:
A computer
Internet service
A 3D printer
Plastic filament reels
Tools to maintain the printer
A place to operate this equipment

can't afford to upgrade the slicing software.

I would prefer they charge and actually make major changes to the software than to continue to get free updates that really never change the operation or features of the software.
joestefano

I 2nd billyd! I just wish It would be available already....

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”