dmulheimer

Re: Major bug, x-axis leaning to the right (positive)

Last edited by dmulheimer on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimc

i dont know anything about the leapfrog but i find this thread very interesting so i have been following the whole thing. does the leapfrog run its own firmware or is it running one of the open source? marlin etc?
Festus440

As far as I know it uses a version of Marlin.
Festus440

Thanks for the information dmulheimer.
dmulheimer wrote:Most slicers allow you to choose one or the other.
So does S3D allow you to chose relative positioning somewhere?
dmulheimer wrote:Also, RETRACT/DESTRING speed is set independently of print speed. So even if you slowed printing down, you could have a high retract speed and that high speed *could* be the culprit due to lost steps. This is what I think CatDog had discovered in your problem.
Watching it print I certainly didn't see anything resembling fast.
S3D does have settings for retract speed and slowing those way down didn't make any difference (listed in my tests). In fact at 100mm /min the x and y axis had to visibly stop and wait for the retract to finish which is why I stopped the test.

And, even if it was missing steps in the extruder, how does that effect the x or y axis?
jimc

thats strange. my makergear m2 uses marlin. there has to be some difference. the majority of the makergear m2 owners use s3d and we dont get any issues like this.
Frguy

After reading test, I do not think the problem is the Gcode but the machine, because it has lost its origins « the Y axis origin had moved 4.7mm » (and just in one direction).
With a gcode problem, the printer follows the incorrect movements but always know where it is, and origins are the same at the beginning and at the end.
This is not specified in the test, but I think the movement speed was reduced also
(The retractions does not apply to motors of X, Y and theoretically have no influence on their movement)

For the gap, 2 main causes:
- Rotation of the pulley on the motor axe (make a mark between 2 for control)
- Loss of motor steps. In this case it is possible that wear of the printer requires a reduction of printing speed and movement speed, but also the acceleration. Acceleration is defined in firmware according to the machine capacity. If for example a bearing have a hard point, engine torque may be insufficient during a speed start (Acceleration must be reduce).
In this case the management of retractations may influence. I do not know how S3D and Kisslicer manage the retractations phase in the movement axes X and Y, but with S3D maybe there is a break from movement and a restart which can cause a loss of step and disappears when there is no retractation. For Kisslicer, it can be retracted during movement and causes no restart and therefore acceleration, or retracts it less often.

Also, it seems that Kisslicer manages acceleration (tab Printer / Speed ​​" XY accel mm / s ^ 2) . It's may be smaller than in the firmware. S3D does not manage acceleration and so it is the speed of firmware that is used.

Control the fluidity of movement manually (printer or motors off) can detect a maintenance problem.

(Excuse me for my bad English)
Lonestar9192

Ok I shut off my retract and got a decent object/ball of fishing line haha. The lean was gone, however, i still don't have a perfectly straight up object. Its straight but not as good as repetier. Seems as if it loses a step but comes back. It could be filament imperfections or I may just be too picky. I'm not happy with de-stringing every object. I changed another setting and so far I have about 10 layers of perfect. I'll post te final result in the morning.
Lonestar9192

I solved the riddle. Got three perfect prints so far. I'm going to make one more print to be sure then I'll need someone to confirm on their creatr. Any volunteers?
Festus440

I'm in of course.
Lonestar9192

BAM! Ok I made a few adjustments at once but I'll let you know the one I think it is. In the FFF screen, under the tab "gcode" uncheck the box that says something along the lines of "allow zeroing of something" it's the middle checkbox in that little group on the left. When you hover over it, it says about marlin and maker gear. Uncheck that and test a print and please report back so I can infor leapfrog and s3d the issue.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”