arhi

show layer number

in the g-code preview moving slider shows what line of the g-file we are at but not at what layer height and not what layer number we are at .. should be super easy fix ..

for e.g. I want to drop the temp of the nozzle during bridge and return it to previous value after bridge so since there's no way to get to the layer number by clicking on some feature at least like this from 2-3 slicings we can find layer number ... attm I have to save the generated g-code, open in text editor, then go trough preview find line number, go to line in editor and read layer number from comment .. not very fast :(
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
tobyCwood

Re: show layer number

We've been ranting about this now ever since V2. Come on you guys! It's super tedious to do start and stop per a process if you display in Preview the layer number, but require the Z height in mm for the fields in the process. It's a PITA to have to call up a calc and multiply the layer number by the Set layer height to get at the Z height needed for these fields. At the very least you can provide the layer number and the calculated Z height on the preview!
dmelle

+1

I am also used to seeing the current layer number. Please add when possible.
dkightley

I would like any enhancement in this area to go a little further....

The status line at the bottom of the preview mode screen could easily show some more useful information about the point at which the simulation is up to.

For instance, in Layer display mode, as well as from and to layer and line numbers, it really should indicate the height of the partly printed model that is currently being printed...as requested by the OP.

In Line mode, it would be really useful to display the text of the current line....so the user can use this information, for example to help diagnose issues with the print. At the moment, Line mode is not even worth looking at, because it tells you almost nothing!

I've said the above before on another thread that was also requesting the height to be displayed.......so now there's at least two threads asking for this same feature!!!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
arhi

one should look at g-code viewer from craftware for inspiration ..

- legend showing feature type is similar to s3d but imo bit better (hq on/off, travel on/off, type vs toolhead vs extrusion vs feedrate - that's only more type then s3d that should be easy for s3d to add ... )
- g-code text directly on the screen! changing while you change layer / line view
- "visible layers" slider allows you to not only display from layer0 to "selected layer" but also only from selected layer down some % of layers (for e.g. in attached img you only see a section of few layers) - very good for inspection
- show layer number and line number
- show exact position of the head for layer+line + the data about that move in tooltip next to the nozle

I'd add hear "layer number" also the height .. here you can see it in the tooltip but would be cool to see it down there also ..

anyhow, while s3d is still lot better slicer then cw, this screen, g-code preview, holds lot of data that I'd really like to see in s3d
Capture.JPG
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
davedelay

dkightley wrote:I would like any enhancement in this area to go a little further....

The status line at the bottom of the preview mode screen could easily show some more useful information about the point at which the simulation is up to.

For instance, in Layer display mode, as well as from and to layer and line numbers, it really should indicate the height of the partly printed model that is currently being printed...as requested by the OP.

In Line mode, it would be really useful to display the text of the current line....so the user can use this information, for example to help diagnose issues with the print. At the moment, Line mode is not even worth looking at, because it tells you almost nothing!

I've said the above before on another thread that was also requesting the height to be displayed.......so now there's at least two threads asking for this same feature!!!!
I would rather like to see the MM height listed while previewing. That way i can see directly where to end/start a change in process.
WarrenBailey

I recently purchased Simplify3D and really like the product, even considering the free software available; however, I can't really believe that current layer and Z-height isn't in the preview window. Having found this relatively recent request thread, am I doing something wrong or is this fairly basic feature not a part of the fully-paid version of Simplify3D ?

I'm sure maybe I've missed some setting somewhere or am doing something wrong? or is this not a current feature of this commercial software product?
brian442

I think it already shows the layer number. If you click the Layer button so that it is using "preview by layer", then it displays the layer numbers at the bottom of the window. For example, with my current part it says "previewing line 1-546 (layer 1 to 57)". So you know the farthest layer it's showing is layer 57.

If you need the exact Z-position, they let you use the cross section tool in the preview which is what I used to find the Z-location when I need it. Just go to View > Cross Section, and then make sure you click the "Z axis" button. Then you can adjust the slider or number beside the Z-axis to position the plane where you need and record the value.
rdupre

+1 for me too
mischl

+1

Return to “Feature Requests”