kdpainter

V4 Gcode viewer orbit super slow!!!

I just installed v4. I loaded something up and sliced it and it went out to lunch for a while. When it came back and showed the sliced gcode, I tried to move around the object. It crawls! So, I loaded up v3.1.1 and it came up with the same objects loaded. So I sliced it and navigating in the gcode viewer is very smooth. I tried several objects with similar results.

Is v4 a huge step backwards in performance?
MasterFX

Re: V4 Gcode viewer orbit super slow!!!

Looks on my Machine (Xeon 1650 v3, Geforce 1070 Pretty smooth, think I get my 60 fps). Whats your Hardware?
I just compared with GPU-Z on 3.1.1 and 4.0 on a complex model and moving a little bit around. Seems to me almost the same
s3d_gpu.png
kdpainter

Thanks for checking it out on your rig. This is my work machine. It is a i7 880 at 3.07GHz. 4 cores. 16GB of RAM. Video card is a Quadro FX 3800

Looks like our CPUs are somewhat comparable with both being pretty old.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-1 ... ore-i7-880

Your video card however will run circles around mine.

I can't install GPU-Z on this machine. When I get home, I will compare the two on my rig there. However, I don't get any FPS for a while. It is "Not Responding" much of the time. v3.1.1 is not doing any of this.
jfkansas

Make sure the correct GPU is being used. It defaults to the onboard chipset, needs to be set to your higher end GPU.
kdpainter

On my system at home, which is much more powerful, it runs fine. So something is up with my work machine. Not sure what yet.
kdpainter

jfkansas wrote:Make sure the correct GPU is being used. It defaults to the onboard chipset, needs to be set to your higher end GPU.
Interesting. I don't even know without looking that my old i7 880 even has an internal GPU. If it does, it would be dog slow for sure. How do you change which GPU it is using? Thanks for the tip!
CompoundCarl

Seems to work the exact same for me. 4.0 is just as fast as 3.1.

You might want to double-check that you are actually loading the same file. The easiest way to do that would be to just export your gcode file, then go to File > Preview G-Code File to load it into each program.
kdpainter

CompoundCarl wrote:Seems to work the exact same for me. 4.0 is just as fast as 3.1.

You might want to double-check that you are actually loading the same file. The easiest way to do that would be to just export your gcode file, then go to File > Preview G-Code File to load it into each program.
If I import any gcode file, I get this problem including those sliced by v3.1.1. A large complex model will absolutely bring S3D v4 to its knees whereas v3.1.1 is just fine. I also have verified that this processor does not have an integrated GPU so that isn't it. On my desktop at home which is a Sandy Bridge E, I don't see this problem at all. Very smooth. They definitely did something to v4 that causes a massive performance hit in some circumstances.
tolar250

i had the same problem, then i checked under options then on the visualization tab and enabled the "Use legacy graphics mode", and it seems to have fixed it for me.
jfkansas

kdpainter wrote:
CompoundCarl wrote:Seems to work the exact same for me. 4.0 is just as fast as 3.1.

If I import any gcode file, I get this problem including those sliced by v3.1.1. A large complex model will absolutely bring S3D v4 to its knees whereas v3.1.1 is just fine. I also have verified that this processor does not have an integrated GPU so that isn't it. On my desktop at home which is a Sandy Bridge E, I don't see this problem at all. Very smooth. They definitely did something to v4 that causes a massive performance hit in some circumstances.

There are 2 separate executables for the versions. I know when I have mine set to the internal Intel graphics it is very slow moving around. But when changed to the Nvidia GPU it is smooth and fast. So it is possible that 3.1.1 is set to the faster GPU and 4.0 is defaulted to the intel graphics.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”