dbvanhorn

Gaps between processes

I am printing an object with four processes, adjusting layer thickness and temperature so as to speed up the print while maintaining quality where I need it.

Looking at the sides of the print, I see what looks like delamination between layers, right where I am switching processes. Is there a way to minimize this?

I'm less than 24 hours with Simplify, and other than this, I'd say "so far, so good".
brian442

Re: Gaps between processes

Did you check the Simplify3D preview to see if the gap is present there? Do you have a photo of the print where the gap is happening?
dbvanhorn

The layers of each process are sequential if that's what you mean.

I am still experimenting, I've had this software for less than 24 hours at this point. I did see a youtube video where someone was showing this multi-process feature, and he had the same issue. He didn't indicate what if anything could be done about it.

So far, the biggest weakness I see is the inability to manage filament types easily. I don't print with a lot of different materials, but in Matter Control I could save settings for "Inland PLA Black" or whatever.

One small feature I miss is having Matter Control text me when the print is done. But that's relatively minor.

The multi-process was my big reason for trying this. I have parts where I need high detail in a certain vertical range, and I don't in other ranges, which seems to be pretty much exactly what they were thinking of with this feature. Even if I only used it to customize the first few layers for better bed adhesion with ABS, it would be worth it to me.
brian442

dbvanhorn wrote:I don't print with a lot of different materials, but in Matter Control I could save settings for "Inland PLA Black" or whatever.
You can do the same thing in S3D. Just click the "+" button beside the list of materials to add a new one and then you can change your settings. If you ever want to see what's being changed for each material, you can even go to File > Export FFF Profile, open that file in a text editor, and see all of the exact changes at the bottom in the <autoConfigureMaterial> sections.

There's a video about the basics here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFynhtvPBPQ
blackbird2016

I had this, too.
Reason seems to be that the software ist just splitting your model whre you tell to do.
But sometimes depending on the layer-height it can not "fill" untill the desired height.
Say your 1st process is just 1mm high and your layer height 0,4mm it
will draw 2 layers and leave a gap of 0,2mm until starting the 2nd process.

This is easy to solve but needs some legwork, though.
The gap is easy to see in the print preview. (even a 0,1mm gap)
Just scroll down the print-process to the last layer of the process beneath the gap.
In the above example you could see a z-value (lower left corner of the preview) of 0,8mm.
Go back to your process settings and edit the end-point in process 1 from 1to 0,8 manually.
Same for the start-point of process 2.
This at least for me works pretty well....
dbvanhorn

Ok, I will try that next time. It does seem like something that should be handled automatically though.
blackbird2016

You are right!
I would be glad, it would be a real seamless transition as announced.
Iam just doing some experiments for the moment and
making the transition "by hand" from 02mm over a few layers with 0,17mm to 0,15mm.
It as such is working well, skipping the step between by software would be a charm, though...

In an other thread someone whished the layer thickness not to set by layer but per mm
which would be of help here, though...
arhi

blackbird2016 wrote: making the transition "by hand" from 02mm over a few layers with 0,17mm to 0,15mm.
It as such is working well, skipping the step between by software would be a charm, though...
That's why "mesh modifiers" are bit easier to work with but looks like s3d is going in right direction visualizing processes. if at one time they create a "visual process editor" where you can stack/move/resize processes directly on the part then top/bottom of the process could "snap" to the proper layer's :D ..

would be cool to have a "snap" option now (snap to lower or snap to upper position selector would be cool) so you select start/stop of the process and it snaps to proper layer automagically so when you change the layer height you don't have to go and modify start/stop for all the layers too :)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
S3D-Jason

dbvanhorn wrote:Ok, I will try that next time. It does seem like something that should be handled automatically though.
Just to let everyone know, Version 4.0.1 will now handle these transitions automatically, so even if you setup a print as described above, there will be no gaps between processes. That makes it much easier to setup prints using whatever layer heights you want and allowing the software to automatically ensure a smooth transition.

Thank you for making the great suggestion!
sk8rjess

I'm glad to know this is going to be implemented on the next release. Is there an ETA for this?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”