borderjs

Not presenting correct bed size for circular plates

Hello,
I have noticed that when setting up my new delta printer in s3d with a 110mm circular build volume that S3D does not display it accurately. It shows a much larger build plate that allows slicing of objects that are too large.

This does it in the newest and older versions of S3D.

This shows settings with an object that should be too big to print.
Printer Settings with an object that should not fit
Printer Settings with an object that should not fit
My octoprint gcode viewer showing that it is indeed to large.
GCode view in octopi showing correct area
GCode view in octopi showing correct area
brian442

Re: Not presenting correct bed size for circular plates

The X and Y size should be for the square plate that would fit inside your circular bed, not the diameter of the circle. So if you have a 110mm bed, then the X and Y size should be 0.707*110 = 77.77.

So set X and Y to 77.77 and then it will work correctly
jchilders_99

I saw the calculation in another older post and it works as it should for me. HOWEVER, anything larger than the largest square (205x205 on my 300mm dia bed) S3D thinks it "...exceeds build dimensions." This is really a garbage implementation for $150 software. I've been searching through the forums and this has been brought up numerous times over the years with no one from S3D addressing it. Yes, I can manually move parts around and hope I don't have an overhang sticking outside my build area, but again, for what they're selling as "best in class" software, I can't auto arrange or auto scale a part that is larger than 68% of my build area?

Sorry for venting, it's just frustrating :oops:
RoboDLC

borderjs wrote:Hello,
I have noticed that when setting up my new delta printer in s3d with a 110mm circular build volume that S3D does not display it accurately. It shows a much larger build plate that allows slicing of objects that are too large.

This does it in the newest and older versions of S3D.

This shows settings with an object that should be too big to print.
s3d.JPG
My octoprint gcode viewer showing that it is indeed to large.
octoprint.JPG
Yeah, I noticed that too. You have to figure the Cartesian square that will fit into the diameter. S3D isn't smart enough to figure the actual radius of the bed. I fought with this trying to find the right way to get the full build volume to be used, but (predictably), there was no solution. It would be nice to see this bug fixed so we delta users can actually use the whole bed. You also can't just define a square that contains your circle either or the board level wizard and the auto-arrange will throw stuff out of your actual print volume. Bummer.
<to S3D folks>
It isn't all that hard to calculate the actual edges of a circular bed as compared to a square one. Today's computers are really fast and a few trig equations are not that time consuming.

Thanks,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
mdunsford

Can someone from Simplify confirm that this major bug will be fixed and give some sort of timescale?

Having to resort to google and a calculator just to get the correct bed size displayed would not be acceptable for a free product so it certainly not be the case for a premium product like Simplify3D.

The total inability to correctly (and safely) use the whole of a circular bed only makes a bad situation worse.

This is not just an annoyance - a print that, according to the preview, was well away from the edges and covered only 2/3 of the bed actually filled the whole thing causing the head to crash into a bed clamp snapping off my cooling fan and ripping off an effector arm in the process.

This is not a trivial cosmetic bug, it is a safety issue that needs an urgent fix.
MaverickCCIE

How is that a year later and they still have not fix this issue!!! I keep having to import a ring the max size of bed just to setup multi-able parts with out exceeding the build plate. The worse part is Simpliefy3d will not error out is you slice with something outside the build volume, it just cuts it off.
bslomak

Same problem here! (Anycubic Predator)

Back and Bump!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”