JBFUK

Final bit of help to perfect prints

Hi,

I've been tuning and tweaking my printer and my S3D settings. I'm getting really nice results now but there's one thing that I'm still having trouble solving. I get tiny gaps or blobs where the layer starts/ends. I understand that these are going to relate to retraction, coast and wipe settings. I've tried playing around with these but still haven't been able to eliminate the problem - often it just gets worse.

I've now reverted these settings to the S3D default for PLA, printed a benchy and taken some close up photos (attached). Could anyone give some advice on how to get rid of this issue?
FFFPLA.PNG
IMG_5205.JPG
WIN_20171004_22_51_13_Pro.jpg
DarthRevan

Re: Final bit of help to perfect prints

The close up image you provided looks a lot like gaps. Were there blobs in other areas?

If you're getting gaps with coasting entirely disabled, you can try increasing the extra restart distance by a very small amount at a time. I'd generally try this and only print a section of the model that keeps showing this same gap issue. You can use both the model settings panel and the variable settings wizard to lower the benchy below the bed up till the point where you want to start the print and set a process stop height where you want to stop printing and examine the results of your changes.
JBFUK

Thanks, I did play with the extra restart distance a little bit but it seemed to make things worse. When I say blobs, you see in the close up there's a slight bulge at one end of the layer?

I'm going to have another try with just the layers where the issue is most obvious as you suggested. I'm thinking perhaps a little coast and a little extra restart distance? Or perhaps a little coast and a little less retraction?
jfkansas

Try not forcing retraction after each layer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”