ieatacid

Re: Send GCode Directly to OctoPrint

gamecompiler wrote:Ill would also like this feature to be added please.
My printer is located in my cellar. Just pressing ->print would be very cool instead of running 3 floors downstairs and upstairs after that.
This is easy.
  • Connect to the Raspberry Pi that's running OctoPrint. If you're using a keyboard and monitor open a command prompt
  • Type in (or copy/paste): sudo apt-get install samba samba-common-bin (if you get a message about 'Unable to fetch some archives...' enter sudo apt-get update --fix-missing then try again)
  • Then enter: sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
  • Page down to the end and paste in this, edit if desired.
  • Enter: sudo service smbd restart
  • Enter: sudo smbpasswd -a pi
  • Choose a password
  • Back in Windows, go here to see how to map a network drive. I mapped \\octopi\watched to drive letter Z. Once that's set up...
  • In Simplify3D click "Save Toolpaths to Disk" and select your new, mapped drive in the list on the left. It should be below your physical drives. Within seconds of saving it there it will appear in OctoPrint's file list, ready to print.
If you need more help to get it working just let me know. Good luck!
Last edited by ieatacid on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeygstyle

As others have said, shipping gcode to OctoPrint from S3D is ezpz and can be done with a simple file share. Because it requires expertise on the OctoPrint side, it isn't all that high value of a feature in my opinion.

But S3D folks, OctoPrint is so ubiquitous, and has a published REST interface, and a discovery "plugin" thats included and enabled by default. Simplify3D should use mDNS/avahi to detect every octoprint device on the current network, poll information from, and enumerate them. Once this is done the printers should behave exactly as if they're plugged in with USB. Ideally including a dashboard of all devices current temps, coordinates, etc. This would be a killer feature and I believe would be extremely appreciated by the community. Don't half ass it though! :)
FlyingDutch

Please people. Making an auto-upload script is NOT printer integration in S3D. It's just automating a minor part of the non-integrated workflow, nothing more.

S3D needs to integrate octopi. So that you can USE your printer FROM S3D, as THAT's what integration means. So, for instance, you can move the head/bed from S3D, use the leveling wizard, and so on.

They already should have this integrated, it's a missed chance for the 4.0 release.
RAMilewski

Just installed S3D. Appalled to discover there is no Octoprint Integration. Not what I expected from the reputed market leader in slicers. Unless I see a marked improvement in print quality over Cura 2.7, I doubt that I'll keep S3D past the trial period.
ir_fuel

Same here.
Once you get used to sending it to the printer directly from in Cura and watching your webcam there, going back to save on disk and drag and drop on octoprint webpage is just cumbersome.

Please add this :geek:
tychop

Just Do It.
FriFra

I also would like an Octoprint integration. But definitely not on terminal/linux level like mentioned in the opening thread... Octoprint brings an api which makes that kind of integration pretty easy. Using http/s and the Octoprint api key would also allow to start printing remotely just over https.

Im not sure about plugin development for s3d, maybe this would also open a way to just integrate a seamless upload to Octoprint as well.
kurtnelle

Is there any ability or feature request that currently exists, that will address the issue of being able to send directly to octo print or some other default file system (network or other wise) location?

Edit: Nvmd, I wrote code and solved my problem. Now I can Right click "Print via OctoPrint"
Attachments
Print with OctoPrint
Print with OctoPrint
arhi

kurtnelle wrote:Is there any ability or feature request that currently exists, that will address the issue of being able to send directly to octo print or some other default file system (network or other wise) location?
to octoprint you can send using curl (as explained in previous posts), you can use gcodestat (it will properly calculate time to print, can also add M117 codes into print so you get proper time tracking on the display, can send directly to octoprint ..)

as for "other default file system" s3d can store file directly on a network drive or you are talking about scp/sftp/ftp ?
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “Feature Requests”