maker2

auto eject SD card

When I save an .gcode file to an SD card the next thing I have to do is open a "finder" window (on the Mac) and "eject" the SD card volume, before taking it out and running over to the printer.

Frankly, this is unnecessarily laborious.

It would be nice if S3D had TWO dialogue buttons that one could choose according to ones need:

- "SAVE" - as in "save to SD card"

- "SAVE & EJECT" - as in "save to SD card and eject that SD card"
Zorgonaute84

Re: auto eject SD card

+1
cmadson

+1

This would be a great time saver!
WTLgrinda

+1 for mac
sstantz

For me that would just be an unnecessary cluttering of the UI. I just make sure I see the message bar tell me that the export has been completed, and then I pop the card out.

I wasn't even aware anyone "ejected" SD cards. I routinely eject USB drives, because not doing so has lead to problems in the past. But I never in my life have ejected an SD card and I have never had one problem as a result.
arhi

sstantz wrote:But I never in my life have ejected an SD card and I have never had one problem as a result.
some OS's are by default configuring cards to be "no cache" / "optimized for fast removal" (or however different OS's call it) so there's no cache and data is always written directly to card.. write's are slower and cards are not always perfectly utilized but you can pop the card out without "safe removing it" in software first. on the other hand, some other OS's still treat card media and users with respect and expect cards to be properly ejected :).. I hope you never get a problem but note that the "typical" problem in this case is - you are missing last few kilobytes of G-code in your file, so imagine a 4 hour print that finishes without last few cm's of the part ..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
moggb

this is good idea :)
OsterNikolaus

its all about this little window popping up saying "disk not ejected properly".
Cura has this feature as standard. in cura theres a message showing on the bottom which says "your disk has been removed after successfully exporting ...".

mac user of course.
jwilbourne

WOW yet another thread for the same thing, maybe 5.0 you'll add this
Hawkeye0914

This still hasnt been added?

Return to “Feature Requests”