guru_florida

Holes in print

Before I even print, the slicer is putting holes in the print. I can see them in the gcode preview. I have red marked a few in the attached image but as you can see the preview is chock full of them. Is there a reason that the slicer is not closing these areas? They do show up on the print pretty much as indicated in the preview.
S3D-holes.PNG
wirlybird

Re: Holes in print

First thing I would do is run the model through a fixer such as makeprintable.com or netfabb.
gwhite

Having the extruder "extra restart distance" set too negative will do that. Zero is a good place to start, and it's very touchy. I use settings like -0.2 mm.
guru_florida

Thanks gwhite. It wasnt "extra restart distance", but was the "Coasting distance" set to 1.5mm. Now it previews perfectly. Obviously this needs to be tuned in practice.

I figured there was an option controlling it, there are soo many options in Simplify3D....how do we honestly tune them all? The print shown is the "The Hot End" tower for figuring out the best parameters using multiple processes over 10mm stages. I just tuned for temperature but it's going to take a long time to tune all the parameters and their co-dynamics. I've been 3d printing for years (with some success) but clearly I know next to nothing. Any recommendations on gaining expert knowledge or is it just get a Diploma from the School of Hard Knocks?
gwhite

There is a whole collection of "Tip of the Day" posts by KeyBoardWarrior that contain a wealth of good info on what each setting does. Do a search on a topic of interest including that string.
joaojoao

I think the most important thing is to know the meaning of all settings parameters, so we can see their effects on the print..I also print for a few months only, and I´m learning sometimes the hard way, figuring it out what are the best settings for each print.
Sometimes we have random errors, sometimes not..for "random" I mean that is hard to find out what is the cause, no matter what settings we change, they are allways there, and suddently, they aren´t..! :)
We can´t forget that we are dealling with very low tolerances here, and most of our machines were not made for that kind of precision, so random stuff happens! :D
blackbird2016

I already had some missing outer perimeter issues.
In my case turning of single extrusion for outer perimeter did the trick.
Maybe that this is a combination of both, the above and some mesh issues of your model...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”