vircon

Machine Control Communication Verbose Filtering

Hi All,

I am not sure how many others tend to use the Communication tab on the Machine Control Panel to send commands to their printers, however I tend to use this quite frequently. I find however that to be able to see return communication from my printer I need to have the Verbose option checked(things like running pid tune) which is understandable, however when this is enabled this also shows all M105 commands being sent and received to report the current temperatures which can tend to clutter up any direct user commutation making it hard to parse.

My request is to have an option to disable displaying the chatter for things such as the the temperature reporting M-code and response to that M-code between Simplify3D and the printer when not user initiated communication.

I do realize there may be some complications to this. Like if Simplify3D sends an M105 then I immediately send a command it could be hard to determine if the response is for the M105 or the user initiated command. To this situation I do not particularly have a good idea on how to handle beyond checking the response to see if it matches the format for an M105 or not and filter based on that, or have a field that I can specify a regex type response to filter on. Though a filter like that would probably also break picking up any user initiated M105 commands sent.

Anyway, this something I would like to see in a future version if possible. Not necessarily a big user facing feature or change to some but something I would find that makes my experience using Simplify3D that little bit better than it already is.
SteveIsHeer

Re: Machine Control Communication Verbose Filtering

+1 to that!
At very least, have a second check box to filter out the temp monitoring as we can all see the temps in the accessory control of the machine gui
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!
GaryK47

Hello!

This feature is missing in the S3D V4.0.
mdunsford

+1 again

As it stands the verbose checkbox is almost useless.

If I tick it most (all?) responses to my commands are lost because they are suppressed.

If I don't tick it most (all) responses to my commands are buried in a swamp of temperature requests.

Either way my responses are lost and I'm heading out of S3D and into a terminal emulator muttering loudly to myself about the ^%%$& useless Verbose checkbox.

If nothing else SteveIsHeer's suggestion about suppressing temperature responses unless the user has requested one would be a start.

As it stands the only thing I use the verbose checkbox for is to freeze the output if I happen to spot a response go whizzing past, otherwise it's useless.
Shinomori

+1
This is my biggest annoyance with Simplify3D.
I had gotten used to doing all controls of my printer through g-code commands. Coming from a CNC background it is much faster and more precise once you learn how to do it that way. The constant spam and the fact that verbose blocks basically all communications makes this window essentially useless. Using the gui feels like I have all the control a grabber claw game instead of a precision machine.
barthyone

I'd like to see this too. A "clear screen" button would be nice too.
DrBot

+1

Yes, please add a button in the formular windows to filter the M105 messages !!!!

Please

Return to “Feature Requests”