SusiT140V

Re: Crashing Constantly on Process Update

Just as a follow-up to my last post - removing SpyBot and CCleaner stuff made no difference either. Still randomly crashing on updating processes.

Grabbing at straws here - it seems that most complaints are when people are creating FlashForge Creator Pro processes...

I wonder if that is it?

Maybe the FFCP profile directly or something to do with how that links to call for the GPX plugin?

(I know it crashed a few times when using it with my Mass Portal, but that might have been as a result of S3D already having been corrupted by a previous crash when saving a dodgy FFCP profile)

All I know is that S3D produces a "Qt5Core.dll" error each time it dies.
Once you get this, despite clearing out any possibly faulty profiles, the only sure way is to nuke (reset) the settings back to vanilla - a supremely inelegant slapping of a band-aid over the problem without identifying the actual underlying cause.

My working practises are now back to the Win3.1 days - you know: save everything and export it with a different name every time you make a change - just because it is so unreliable! This really sucks.
I don't care how good the next "Paid" version is, I'm not buying again.
A real shame, because I honestly think that S3D is worth every single penny - when it works.

Nothing else on this machine ever crashes - just S3D. Which is the one program I need to work more reliably than anything else...

Just my luck. :(
wolfbusch

i´m having the same problems with s3d 4.0 for the bcn3d sigma printer.
and the best: no one of the company seems to take care of this issue... :evil:
upsm

wolfbusch wrote:i´m having the same problems
Did you guy's maybe tried the solution mentioned in few other posts? The v4 was totally unusable for me after upgrade but then I deleted all profiles, uninstalled it and installed it "fresh" and never had a crash since. There's a problem in profiles from pre v4 that crash v4 and the only solution is removing all profiles. Then it works ok, no more crashes. I know it's not a "easy" solution, you have to make all your profiles again, but it solves crashing problem and it does not return (at least never returned for me)..

Btw export/import of the profiles did not work for me, I had to manually recreate them to solve the problem.
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
SusiT140V

upsm wrote:Did you guy's maybe tried the solution mentioned in few other posts?
Btw export/import of the profiles did not work for me, I had to manually recreate them to solve the problem.
Hi upsm. Thanks for the reply.

I'll give it a go on the new NUC I have just built with Win10 <spit> on it. So will try it on that.
Blasted annoying to do all the CAD on this beast, then have to slice it on another machine, but hey - if it works.

This problem started with me on v3.xx on a Vanilla Windows 7 install on a NUC last year.
So, I then tried it on this big CAD machine. (Clean install - no profiles used from the 1st NUC). Same problem.
Installed 4.0 on this machine - crashes still, even after multiple nuking back to standard, uninstalling, clearing out the Registry, etc.

As for the manual recreation of profiles: that's not too much of a problem - I do it a lot now already - after each crash, and the subsequent nuke back to nothing... :/

I really would like to know what the common denominator is that is causing the problem (I'm sure some folks will say it's me. lol).
Or, I could just go back to slicing with S3D on Linux...
upsm

For me v3.1 was crashing from time to time on some operations with profiles, once a week approx. and was not repeatable. It was annoying but survivable. V4 then started crashing non stop (10-20 times per day) and it was unusable. I cleaned the registry, installed it blank and never had a crash since (win7 64bit). If you have crashes after "nuking it back to nothing" it's not same as crashes I had as I don't have those, for me v4 works 1/1 now, didn't have a single crash since the fresh install.
Used cars search engine
  • M150 / Smoothieware
upsm

BTW, might have to do with Win10! I'm still on Win7 on all my workhorses as I find Win10 unfortunately unusable!
Used cars search engine
  • M150 / Smoothieware
SusiT140V

upsm wrote:BTW, might have to do with Win10! I'm still on Win7 on all my workhorses as I find Win10 unfortunately unusable!
I so agree. Win10 is an utter POS on desktop machines.
I won't use it for anything other than out of desperation or to provide compatibility with a customer's machine. Currently migrating our office to Debian and Ubuntu. Nice one, SatNad. NOT!!

If this works or doesn't, I will post back with the results - might help someone else. :)
(Might take me a few days as I am preparing some sample prints for a photo shoot)

I was not aware of the 3.x to 4.x crashing issue. If this fixes it, you are a Total Superstar, and if it doesn't fix it?
Aww - you still are a Total Superstar for trying to help out. :)

[I don't want to pester the dev again as I know they are busy guys, but there is obviously something weird here...]

Susi xx
(from rigid.ink)
wolfbusch

unfortunately i neither had 3.x before nor i have win 10 on my machine, it´s win 7 64bit.
i have less crashes since i´m saving each single process modification, but some times it doesn´t help as well...
SusiT140V

wolfbusch wrote:unfortunately i neither had 3.x before nor i have win 10 on my machine, it´s win 7 64bit.
i have less crashes since i´m saving each single process modification, but some times it doesn´t help as well...
Sorry to hear that. I am doing the same. It's a royal pain!

I know I have been whittering on about Win10, but the truth is I have tried 3.xx before on our only current Win10 machine (a laptop) back in February - and as soon as I got more than four or five stored profiles, the crashing started on that too.

I am not confident that this utterly-virgin machine will be any better. This will be the 5th Windows machine I try to get this working on.
(Getting desperate now - they are all 64bit OS installs. Could that be the problem?)

I doubt it. ;(
wolfbusch

i would doubt it, too...
now it´s running for about 24 hours without any problems, with about 15 stored profiles, several factory files and many gcodes.
on other days i have problems with crashes without an end.
and i do not think, that the problem is the machine.
if any, really any other software (much more complex ones like CAD and so on) runs fine and without problems on my different machines and only one software crashes all the time, it´s not very logical for me that it should be an issue of the machine. or am i wrong?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”