latreides

S3D with UM3, fails to print

Ok, brand new UM3, tried printing with Cura and was soon reminded of the reasons I don't use Cura.

So I decided to switch over to trusty S3D.

The first sign that things were not going well was the "prime" line. It started with the left extruder and drew a line from the left side to the center. That went OK. It then moved to the right side and used the right extruder to draw a line that I am going to assume was supposed to stop in the center. It doesn't. It continues, plowing into the line it already drew with the other, forcibly pushing the build plate down in the process.

I don't exactly know what the desired behavior is here. Is it supposed to draw two partial lines, meeting in the middle? Is it supposed to draw two full lines that are not on top of each other? Either way, its not working.

Next it tried to print, but very little filament came out. Filament extruded just fine during the "prime" process, but almost nothing came out. I tried checking temperatures and the heads (appeared) to be the correct temperature.

Finally, I aborted the print and when it tried to home print head, it continued to try and force it into the corner (when it was already at the minimum location) and made an ugly grinding noise.

I tried the whole process a second and third time with the exact same results.

Everything is calibrated, the beds are level, and it prints "just fine" with Cura (just fine meaning only the normal Cura issues like supports and oozing)

I really want to use S3D for my UM3 but its not making it easy on me! Is there anyone that can help?
a205020

Re: S3D with UM3, fails to print

I have the same problem......
brian442

It sounds like you are just printing too close to the bed. Anytime you switch to a new slicer, you frequently have to adjust the calibration to match your machine, so just adjust the things mentioned here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... t-of-print
shasselberg

I have had similar issues with S3D and my UM3. Same issue on prime line. Very little extrusion on additions -- skirt, ooze shield, prime tower -- but the print itself extruded well. I had to turn those features off because they caused more problems than they solved. I needed them, but couldn't use them.

In two other seemingly unrelated posts, I questioned whether the additions used the same first layer parameters, and I also bemoaned S3D's confusing manner of handling dual extrusion.

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8771
https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8775

In figuring things out, I ungrouped the processes that were grouped by the dual-extrusion wizard. I found that the additions now printed fine. There were two ooze shields, however, that tried to occupy the same space. I regrouped the processes and only had one ooze shield and finally got some great two color prints.

So now I ignore the dual-extrsion wizard and just create and edit two processes. I only group them when I am done editing each independently, and only if I need an ooze shield. Unrelated, but I also lessen ooze by lowering the temperature of the idle extruder by editing the gcode script for tool changes.

This did nothing for the collision of the priming lines, but that didn't seem to cause any issues.
cutl2014

I can't even print with S3D and UM3!

I 'Save toolpaths to disk', drag and drop into Cura, 'Print over network', it uploads then says 'Unable to send print job to group Ultimaker 3'

Even saving to USB and printing direct from the UM3 gives me 'error line 0' and no print!!

Any ideas?

Thanks
shasselberg

I don't even try to print over the network. Just save to USB. I do with S3D would add that feature. Cura as middleman seems ridiculous.
cutl2014

shasselberg wrote:I don't even try to print over the network. Just save to USB. I do with S3D would add that feature. Cura as middleman seems ridiculous.
Yeah but why doesn't it work via Cura? How is it not possible? It's ridiculous!

I need to print via Wifi as the printers are a long way away from my PC!
neotko

This issue happens because Cura now checks the header for the material code.

You know, they care very little about enabling anything other than their slicers, their materials, their...
cutl2014

neotko wrote:This issue happens because Cura now checks the header for the material code.

You know, they care very little about enabling anything other than their slicers, their materials, their...
Ok thanks, so best idea is to go back to Firmware 3.7 on the Ultimaker 3?
DarthRevan

cutl2014 wrote:I can't even print with S3D and UM3!

I 'Save toolpaths to disk', drag and drop into Cura, 'Print over network', it uploads then says 'Unable to send print job to group Ultimaker 3'

Even saving to USB and printing direct from the UM3 gives me 'error line 0' and no print!!

Any ideas?

Thanks
I haven't tried printing through Cura. Last time I checked they didn't have that function available. Printing from USB is working fine for me. Stock Simplify3D profile and firmware version "4.0.1.20171023".

Are you using the stock S3D settings and this same firmware version?
Last edited by DarthRevan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”