Power_Broker

Not Printing Curves Propperly

I have a MakerGear M2 and have noticed that when I print a piece that has a curve, the resulting model has bumps along the curve where the extruder has to change directions. Is there any setting in Simplify3D that I can change to make the curves come out without bumps? (please see attached pic for details)
IMG_2218.JPG
blackbird2016

Re: Not Printing Curves Propperly

This most likely will turn out as a mechanical problem which could not be solved by software.
wirlybird

I would say mechanical also. Double check S3D that you have the correct profile for the printer.

Otherwise I would think loose belts or something is bent or binding.
Here is a test. Make a cube and place it and print it so the side are parallel to the x and y axis and see how the sides turn out. This way only one axis is moving at a time.
Then rotate the cube 45 degrees on the bed and print again and see.

By looking at the flat area on the front of your part it seems ok but it seems when both axis start moving is where the problem is.

Try to narrow down what is moving when the issue happens.
Power_Broker

Thank you both. While watching it print, I have noticed that the problem is that when changing print directions, it pauses ever so slightly (yet still extrudes during the slight pause), causing excess filament at the corners and producing these bumps. Is there a way to dynamically set the extrusion multiplier or possibly decrease the time the printer takes to change directions?
Last edited by Power_Broker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackbird2016

Power_Broker wrote: the problem is that when changing print directions, it pauses ever so slightly (yet still extrudes during the slight pause), causing excess filament at the corners and producing these bumps.
There really has to be something very wrong.
Even with very slow jerk-settings no printer I do know of stops at direction changes that long that
one could really notice a stop especially not with extrusion.
May I ask how long the part in your picture printed?
That must have been hours.....
As wirlybird said before check whether you choose the correct printer in your S3d profile.

Is it a used or a new printer?
Did it ever print as intended?
Maybe a former owner messed with the firmware...
Power_Broker

It's a new printer - I bought it new and never messed with the firmware. The print itself probably took 10 hours or so (can't remember, it was a while ago).

I'm pretty sure S3D is configured to my printer, but I'll reconfigure S3D and do a test print in a few days to make sure.

I hope I can fix this eventually, it would save me a bit of sanding work. Does anyone think it's a modeling problem? The curves in the 3D model aren't that high in resolution - maybe smoothing out the model would help?
wirlybird

The interesting thing is that the "lines" go the full height of the model. This leads me to believe it is the wrong printer profile, mechanical or the model itself.

Here is a setup guide for the printer.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/hard ... makergear/

Also, go find another model on thingiverse or something and try it out and see what happens.
Power_Broker

So I tried reconfiguring S3D for my printer (I'm 99% sure it was done correctly in the first place, though) and printed a new model. This new model is much more detailed and has a lot more polygons around the edges. As you can see, the ridges are less pronounced, but are still present. I really think there is some setting I'm missing in the S3D software. Anyone else with a Makergear M2 have this problem???
IMG_2227.JPG

P.S. How do I rotate the image? It is right side up on my computer, but turned 90deg here in my post.
blackbird2016

That duck looks way better than your first part.
I guess the visible stops at direction changes are gone now with correct settings?

And still your printer may have some mechanical issues, too.
At least the "ringing" visible at the eye hints that at least some belts could be tightened e.g.
Power_Broker

blackbird2016 wrote:That duck looks way better than your first part.
I guess the visible stops at direction changes are gone now with correct settings?
No, the point I was trying to make was that the ridges still occur but their severity depends on model resolution/number of polygons. I've had high resolution prints come out with relatively no noticeable ridges before, but when I print a different model with less resolution, the ridges become more severe.

To show that the problem is NOT ringing, but overextrusion due to pausing at the corners, I've posted a pic below of a failed print. If you look closely, the ridges are caused by excess filament at the corner points. I'd really like to decrease the "pause time" so this excess filament doesn't happen again.
Attachments
IMG_2228 (1).JPG

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”