mag00

Factory file doesn't save all data?

Hello all.

I'm a quite new user for printing machines (about 8 months) and started to G-Code with Slic3r.

Them, my boss presented me the Simplify3D and told me that it has better support features than Slic3r and encourage me to just use it for my job.

I'm working with printing services with 8 machines in my room and this machines have one basic difference. The nozzle diameter. It varies from 0.4 to 0.8 mm.

When I first saw the Simplify3D I really like it. The ability to save a proprietary file with all configuration for all your work seemed to be the heaven to me.

But this is not working like I believed to. The factory file just save some of environment information that I configured to the jobs. So, if I want to open an old job to check something that I used to print it, I don't have this information at all.

I will describe one example here.

I have a job that will print a set of 12 parts on the same bed, but I want to separate this 12 parts in 3 sections of 4 parts each. So, I have in my bed 3 lines of 4 parts with a large gap between the lines.

Them I prepared one process for each line of 4 parts. So I have 3 process. But, as I have lots of printing to do, I usually don't know in were machine I'll put this job, so I like to "program" one print for each nozzle size.

Said that, those 3 process became 15 process. Each line of 4 parts have one process with a different nozzle size.

So I save the factory file with this "combo" of configuration believing that it will be easy to edit if some change was needed in the future, but when I open the factory file again I get a XML error for each process that factory file brings and all process lost their names and original configuration.

All process have the same configuration that I used on the last process created before the factory save.

Even the model selection for each process are lost during this operation.

May I doing something wrong, or I just expects too much from the factory file?

I attached a PDF with some screenshots of problem.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
problema Simplify3D.pdf
PDF with screenshots of problem
(615.86 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
brian442

Re: Factory file doesn't save all data?

The factory file DOES normally save everything (models, processes, support, placement, etc).

What version of the software are you using? Can you post the original factory file?
mag00

Sorry for delay on answer.

It's the last one. 4.0
brian442

You might wan to try re-downloading the installer from their website. The uninstall your version and re-install using the new file you downloaded.

The latest installer looks to have fixed quite a few things related to factory files.
mag00

Ok, thanks for the info.

I'll try that.
mag00

Hello again, gentlemen.

I'm still having this problem.

My S3D was reinstalled and still presenting error messages when I try to open my saved .factory files.

I've put S3D aside and using Slic3r and IdeaMaker for a while.

Now I've tried to use the S3D again with other model and new configurations, and still receiving the error messages and my processes are loosing their names, the models attached to them and internal configuration.

Any ideas?
rrdavis

I use factory files all the time, and I'm not seeing this issue at all. If you want help, you are going to need to provide a LOT more information. For example, go to File > New, then write down each exact action that you take. Post those steps, and include any files that you were actually importing or editing.

No one is going to be able to help you unless you provide more info so that others can reproduce what you are seeing.
mag00

Finally I've found the problem.

Under Scripts tab I put some comments with special characters, and when I tried to open the factory the software is going crazy with this characters and presenting XML errors that didn't let it opens properly.

Now it seems to open fine.

I thought that special characters are not allowed in part names only, but I was wrong.

Lets have some fun with the software now.

Thanks all.
dkightley

Special characters aren't called "special" for no reason. ;) ;)

I have enough trouble using normal characters as it is....without heaping a load more permutations into the mix!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”