davorin

Vertex K8400 extruder feed

Hello

I did now my first print with Simplify3d on my K8400....

I've read in some places that the extruder feed is wrong in the original Velleman firmware with 200 steps/mm...so I reduced it to around 145 steps/mm...

What extruder feeds are other users using here with Simplify?
Do you also have effects like inner layers are not connected to outer layers and there not having a clean surface?

Seems also that the first layer is printed with 0.09mm with default settings whereas Vellemans software is using 0.2mm.
jeand

Re: Vertex K8400 extruder feed

Hi,

I set extruder steps/mm to 148.7 (in firmware). There is some posts on the velleman's forum about this correction. You can change it too in the settings of your printer (menu Settings/Motion/Esteps/mm). Don't forget to save your settings in memory (Menu Settings/Store Memory)

In S3D I set 0.95 as Extrusion Multiplier. With this, I get thin wall of 0.38 mm width. No idea where S3D find extrusion width = 0.42 (automatic).
To fix your problem of inner layer not touching the outer layer, the best is playing with Extruder Multiplier (but set Esteps/mm before)
The key is a good calibration (temperature, speed, extruder multiplier, ...)

Got a lot of trouble to get decent prints with S3D and Vertex K8400 before S3D 4.0.1. Seems they make some changes.

Good luck.
davorin

I started with around 150 steps/mm...but switched then back again to 200 steps/mm and got better results...

Had also to increase infill overlap to 25% (though still not satisfied completely).

First layer I had to set also to 180%, but think it is not perfect yet....as first layer still has problems to stick correctly to BuilTak surface...
not sure if this folded paper adjustment is of any use or if a defined metal sheet would be better.

However...printed then the mini fan cover from thingiverse:

https://pasteboard.co/H1lpUj4.jpg
jeand

200 steps/mm = overextrusion. Just saying. ;-)

Leveling bed with paper or adjusted metal sheet is ok but don't forget, S3D thinks you're at Z = 0.00, so, if you level the bed at, say, 0.2 mm, at the first layer, the noze is at 0.4 mm of the bed (assume primary layer height = 0.2)
I set the first layer height at 75%, extrusion 120%, speed 80% but it should not work for you because of your e-steps

I never use buildtalk anymore, too expense. I use blue tape (for pla) and a heat bed.

Once again, take time to calibrate your printer and filament combination. There is a lot of method and calibration objects on thingiverse.

Did you try printing with repetier-host first ?
jeand

davorin wrote: First layer I had to set also to 180%, but think it is not perfect yet....as first layer still has problems to stick correctly to BuilTak surface...
not sure if this folded paper adjustment is of any use or if a defined metal sheet would be better.
If I remember correctly, the aluminum plate is not perfectly flat, specialy in the center zone. There is some posts about this 'issue' on the velleman forum.
Did you check the gap between plate and head at x=100, y=100 ? Must be the same elsewhere on the printing area.
davorin

Haven't checked in the middle...but bought yesterday a "feeler gauge" which consists of several metal sheets from 0.05mm up to 1mm in 0.05mm steps...
The folded paper adjustment just doesn't feel right to me (o;

But then again there might be still some PLA leftovers on the nozzle tip....

According to Velleman with the paper adjustment the space between bed and nozzle is 0.35mm then...
Does this correspond to Z = 0.00mm when auto homing the device?

But I think at least the glass plate should be flat on top of the aluminum plate.
jeand

davorin wrote: According to Velleman with the paper adjustment the space between bed and nozzle is 0.35mm then...
Does this correspond to Z = 0.00mm when auto homing the device?
That's the point.
For the 1st layer, you must add 0.35 + layer heigth in S3D (assume 0.2), so the noze is at 0.55 mm above the bed. That's maybe too much for a 1st layer.

I level the bed at 0.2mm with feeler gauge. With a 0.2 layer heigth and first layer height set at 75%, the gap in 'only' 0.35 mm

Now you have your feller gauge in hand, you can check the gap all across the bed.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”