studiostout

very long print time due to non efficient print paths

Dear all

I am new to simplify3D
using until now repetierhost with integrated slic3r.

My problem
I want to pint a complex vase.
I sliced it with Slic3r, it took 45 minutes to slice and will give me a 16 hour print time.
I sliced it with Simplify 3D, slice time took 45 seconds and it will give me a 31 hour print time.

Slicing speed is very good, but print time is double

I think it is caused by a lot of to me pointless travel of the extriders. The vase has a circular crossection.
However printing is not done in a curcular way.
It will print a short bit on one side then move to the other side to print a bit, then move again to another area and print a bit
the exutruders seem to spend more time travelling than they do printing

how to prevent this ?

hope someone can help me
AndersE

Re: very long print time due to non efficient print paths

I have same problem when trying to print a round fanholder. It zigzags on the round part from one side to the other.
Taking very long time to print when its doing this.
jimc

studio, this can have alot to do with how your process is set up. i can easily double or triple the print time or even more by just changing a few things around. i cant imagine a vase that would take 31 hours but who knows. why dont you save the whole thing as a .factory file and post it up here. this way me or someone else can see what you have goin on.
Supagoat

I'm having the same problem. I've messed with a bunch of settings but haven't found any success yet. I'm trying to print the solid version of http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40087 and S3D does fine on the lower 70% or so, printing the 2 shells without any travel, but then on the top section it starts darting all around. Aside from increasing print time this also ruins the vase since it leaves traces behind (maybe I don't have enough retract, granted, but it'll never be as seamless as if it didn't travel at all)

I've attached my factory file. I'm on 2.0.1
Attachments
Vase.factory
Factory file for printing the vase in nylon, with resulting travel in the top section leading to smudges
(646.7 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
jimc

why havent you upgraded? i have not looked at your file but there are new features to keep your seams all in one place.
Supagoat

Initially it was because a lot of people seemed to be having trouble with it. I've just upgraded and now its path is even worse - it's jumping around right from the start.

Even worse, when I set Top Solid Layers to 0 it doesn't hollow out the vase anymore and wants to print it as a solid. :evil: :(
Supagoat

And then after trying a couple settings out it just crashed. I'm rather regretting "upgrading".
jimc

i dont know, maybe i am just lucky but i havent seen any f these issues and bug that everyone seems to be reporting. for it jumping around all that is controlled in the layer tab in the start point section.
Supagoat

OK I went back and played around with settings and forgot that turning off infill was required to make it hollow.

Then I messed around with the number of bottom layers and oddly enough this changed the jumping around at the top. With 2 bottom layers it doesn't jump around at all at the top, but the more I add beyond 2, the more it jumps around.

I have no idea why they should be related. This is with 2.1.
jimc

:? yes, why would the bottom layers have anything to do with rapid movements at the top of the model. odd

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”