Nepherael

Harsh vibration on ooze shield but not part

For example, the part I am using is a circle so the ooze shield is a circle. Offset by 2mm.

When the ooze shield prints it has a lot of vibration and pounding but then when the part outlines print it's smooth as silk.

What settings does the ooze shield use for speed, acceleration, etc? I tend to have this problem on every part I run an ooze shield on. It's loud enough that I regularly turn my head thinking my hotend ran into somehting
horst.w

Re: Harsh vibration on ooze shield but not part

You are sure that happens while printing the oose-wall?
Such "vibrations" may occure when printing an infill between 2 perimeters but I think, the oose-wall exist only by 1, 2 or more perimeters without infill.

Print speed for Oose-wall is the Default Printing Speed (include normal acceleration and jerk)

Regards
horst.w
GER
Nepherael

Yes it just happens during the ooze wall. There are a couple small sections of my part that I get that too during the infill like you describe but it is very noticeable with the ooze shield.

My ooze shield creates 2 perimeters with no infill and, using the same circular part as an example, the circle part will have a smooth run all the way around for the perimeters but when it moves back to doing the ooze shield it gets quite loud and jerky. The ooze shield itself is also not smooth like the external surface of a part might look. It's very rough from the jerky motions it takes to make the circular ooze shield.

could this be a firmware issue? Maybe a default accel/jerk setting taking over during the ooze shield?

I use a Qidi Tech I dual extruder. I think it has a Qidi modified version of sailfish on it if that helps
horst.w

Nepherael wrote:
could this be a firmware issue? Maybe a default accel/jerk setting taking over during the ooze shield?

I use a Qidi Tech I dual extruder. I think it has a Qidi modified version of sailfish on it if that helps
I didn't know what Sailfish is doing, but I think its a firmware as all others and is only executing the commands of the G-Code-File, maybe it is more comfortable and offers more options but that is all.
I have never read or heard from a vibration of the ooze shield printing and can only imaging what cause this:

- distance (2 mm) to near by the object - try out 10 mm
- the form of the sidewall - try out Vertical
- the speed Multiplier is set for my printer by the printers profil to 100%; that must run anytime when the generell speed is set to 40 to 80 mm/s

If that is not the solution, please attache the proceeded G-Code file and if possible the factory file of your model to have a look inside.

H.
Nepherael

Posting back.

I will try out your tips in your previous post. However, running an ooze shield more than 2mm away won't work for me so even if that does fix the issue it doesn't really fix the issue. Secondly, I am always running a vertical ooze shield. Thirdly, I'll try and lower the print speed of the ooze shield now and see what that does.

Still a very serious issue and it really sounds like like my machine can't handle this. I have a short video as well. It shows the print finish a layer, pound really hard while building the ooze shield (2 rotations), and then print completely smooth for the perimeters on the next layer.

This is also a different model than I was posting about previously. I have had this same issue on an 80mm circle and now a 30mm circle.

I would also like to add that the vibration is variable. In this layer the vibration was about medium. The oozeshield layer before this sounded pretty good and one of the layers after was way worse. Upon review of the video you can see stuttering and hear some noises. It was definitely worse in person. It makes me cringe when I hear it and I tend to jerk my head thinking the hot end ran into the part or is smashing into something.

Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/Oj-1qeyZzwY
Last edited by Nepherael on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nepherael

Here's the gcode
Attachments
Pendant.gcode
(892.23 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Nepherael

Printed ooze shield slower. No change, just slower and louder pounding.

To clarify, after closely paying attention it is every other ooze shield layer. One layer is laid beautifully and the next is laid like my machine is going to explode. Good, bad, good, bad. It's possible there could be some alternating in there but it seems to be every other for the most part.
Aha

Found only a partial solution for you that will work in some cases: basically their waterfall setting is Fubar. I'm having the same issue, and the reason is because the gcode isn't printing a circle but micro lines. So instead of a smooth line or curve, you get a jittering bouncing like you're tracing a gravel road or something. And that's going to be accelerating to the max of your machine (not good).

The temp solution is to complain that they need to fix waterfall mode and give something more like a vase outer mode. There's no reason they can't do simple arcs and that would eliminate 100% of the problem.

I didn't even notice this until just a short time ago. But it's definitely in the gcode and messing with my printer as I type this. I'll come back here if I find something more useful.
nerdiusmaximus

Hi all,

I am also experiencing this issue. I can confirm it is lines and arcs being generated by the feature for the ooze shield.

Excerpt from the code here starting the circular ooze shield

Code: Select all

; process Color2
; layer 1, Z = 0.180
M135 T0
G1 E-1.0000 F1200
; feature ooze shield
; tool H0.180 W0.400
G1 Z0.180 F1200
G1 X-10.863 Y4.316 F9000
G1 E1.0000 F1200
G1 X-11.636 Y2.879 E0.0489 F2400
G1 X-12.084 Y2.147 E0.0257
G1 X-12.712 Y1.212 E0.0337
G1 X-15.669 Y-2.717 E0.1472
G1 X-15.745 Y-2.825 E0.0040
G1 X-16.547 Y-4.035 E0.0435
G1 X-16.640 Y-4.188 E0.0054
G1 X-17.421 Y-5.605 E0.0484
G1 X-17.504 Y-5.773 E0.0056
G1 X-17.849 Y-6.548 E0.0254
G1 X-17.912 Y-6.706 E0.0051
G1 X-18.417 Y-8.131 E0.0452
G1 X-18.473 Y-8.316 E0.0058
G1 X-18.849 Y-9.772 E0.0450
G1 X-18.882 Y-9.918 E0.0045
OoozeShieldIssue.factory
(697.07 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Facroty file attached.

Makerbot Replicator 2X in use. Have not experienced this issue in previous versions of simplify 3D. I will try the command to lower x and y acceleration globally but I think the core issue is what setting can be configured to enable smooth arcs and such to be generated for the ooze shield?

Thank you in advance,

-Mike
Afrobaron

This is not just an issue on the ooze shield. Single extrusion infill is doing the exact same thing. I have a circle that if I print with 3 shells or more gets a single extrusion infill that looks and sounds just like the video shown earlier. When printing the shells themselves it is smooth as butter.

Is there anything that can be done to smooth out the motion? Right now is is causing me issues in print quality and re-sizing my model inside or outside is not an option for this part.

Is there an official thread where I can add my experience to gain more traction on the fix needed for this issue?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”