arnoldpro

Feature Request - Jogging X, Y, Z and E

A few suggestions:

1) Going over the machine dimensions should be prevented.
2) I find a cross hair navigation like Printrun and Pronterface more user friendly and intuitive.

Thanks

Arnold
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Jogging X, Y, Z and E

Your firmware should already protect against exceeding the machine dimensions with "software endstops". With any method, you would need to zero all axes at some point so that the machine actually knows where it is in relation to the min endstop.

And a few of us here come from the CNC world, which is why the jogging controls look a bit like a CNC pendant. We added in the custom move field with +/- buttons so it can behave similarly. You can also click on the jog wheel once (to give it focus) and then use your left/right arrow keys to make individual steps in the selected axis direction.

Hope that helps!
Q*bert

I also have a CNC router, so the Creator interface made sense to me. It's Pronterface that's unusual when compared to many similar technologies.

The good thing about the Pronterface control layout is that it takes very little thought to make things move.

The bad thing about the Pronterface control layout is that it takes very little thought to make things move.

Bad things happen when a powered machine does what it shouldn't, but it is much worse when it's a powerful machine such as a CNC turning or machining center. Our little, lightweight 3D printers can't do too much harm, but I still think the more deliberate actions required by Creator is better.
whoDat

I also find the proterface jogging controls more intuitive, and don't really get the idea behind the big round control. It's hard to look at the printer, and keep your mouse pointer moving in a circle at the same time, while doing adjustments.

I did find that you can use the arrow keys, which is great, however the up and down keys do the same as the left and right keys, and you have to change the radio button to X axis or Y axis or what not.

Would it be a good comprimise to just have this keys do the following, without having to click on the appropriate radio button?

Left arrow key = x axis left
Right arrow key = x axis right
up arrow key = y axis away from you
down arrow key = y axis towards you
page up = Z axis up
page down = z axis down

or something similar?

whoDat

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”