gearsawe

Z offset for dual extruder

In the dual extruder setup in Simplify does it have a setting for adjusting a Z offset between the two nozzles?
shocksofmighty

Re: Z offset for dual extruder

There shouldn't be a Z-offset between the nozzles. That would mean that one nozzle could be lower than the other. If that happens you might as well kiss your print goodbye. You should level your nozzles so there is no offset.
gearsawe

That did not answer the question. The nozzles on my print Wil be on a tilt mechanism. When switching materials the nozzles will tilt lowering one raising the other. So is there a z offset in the dual extruder setup or not. Wonder if the is one in the firmware.
Aha

There is not one as far as I can find. Special setups, special extruder types like yours, they require special settings and mods to software.

That said, if you are tilting the heads, or lifting then lowering one, then you should probably NOT have a toolhead offset. The offset is how far one will be from another when it is printing. The software cant account for tilts as far as I'm aware.

But I could see it as an issue if you can't get it close mechanically and it's easier to make a software offset. You might be able to add it in unexpected places in the firmware? Something like an M218 or M210 command to set it?
gearsawe

Thank you.
I will have to make sure what ever firmware I go with support this.
Looking at M218 only supports X Y no Z. hmmm
G10 looks more promising but only support in RepRap Firmware.
Hoping the RepRap Firmware runs on RUMBA motherboard. at first glance only see Marlin. This is where I get lost. G10 in Marlin is Retraction. GRRR (g-code for frustration). and you ask why Rumba. becuase of multi fan support for multi extruders and some extras thermister senors.

EDIT:
looks like the current build does support Z with M218
http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M218.html
Last edited by gearsawe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
horst.w

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#G10:_Tool_Offset

Support : RepRapFirmware Machinekit Yes Yes

Usage
G10 Pnnn Xnnn Ynnn Znnn Rnnn Snnn1
Parameters
Pnnn Tool number
Xnnn X offset
Ynnn Y offset
U,V,Wnnn U, V and W axis offsets5
Znnn Z offset )2