imsmooth

making a hollow box

I want to print a project box for electronics. It is hollow in the center. The walls are about 1.5mm (I forgot the exact measurements right now). I was reading in the document that one can control how many layers are solid before the printer starts a partial-fill pattern. I see the outer perimeter shell feature in the machine controls. Since this is a hollow box, and not a solid, how do I make sure there is 100% fill? Do I just specify enough layers of shell to exceed the thickness of the wall? Do I turn the partial-fill mode off? Again, I want the walls and floor to be 100% filled in.

thanks.
TenKOhms

Re: making a hollow box

if you want everything to be 100% solid besides say the top or the front, just make sure it is modeled correctly (basically a cube with one open side and then nothing in the middle), then set the infill to 100%. This will make all aspects of the model 100% solid
imsmooth

thank you. That makes sense.

The walls and floor are 1.75mm thick. Would a layer 0.25mm be appropriate? Would the quality be reasonable? Would it be better to make the layers 0.175mm and have 10 "shells" for the thickness?
TenKOhms

the layer height just refers to how high the z axis moves per layer. meaning every layer will be .25mm high, just do 2 shells and 100% infill, look at the gcode previewer after you slice, the object will be 100% solid.
imsmooth

So the 0.25mm is the height of each layer as you said. What controls the thickness of each shell? What, for that matter, controls the resolution of the X and Y dimensions?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”