greghuber

Is there a way to get processes back when changing printers?

I have several printers that I often switch back and forth between. I use a variety of different filaments on those printers which all have different process settings. For example, when printing TPU I don't have any retraction, aside from the temperature being different. On my Prusa printer, I have custom gcode to set the k value for Linear advance which depends on the filament I am printing. I also have a custom gcode setting for running a fan to cool the Pinda sensor.

Every time I use the configuration assistant to switch printers, it wipes out my process settings. It is quite tedious going back in and adding each process setting back when I need it. At times that results in failed prints because I forgot to put a setting in.

When I export the FFF file with all the processes, it doesn't seem to keep them. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to get my process settings back?
rrdavis

Re: Is there a way to get processes back when changing printers?

You should be saving any permanent settings in the PROFILE system (i.e. using the "Save As New" or "Update Profile" buttons). There's a good video that explains how those work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7HFPY1wog

Processes on the other hand are intended to be temporary items that you setup for a specific print. So there are lots of things in the software that will change or remove processes depending on what print configuration you are doing (dual extrusion wizard, variable settings, etc).

So again, if you want to save permanent settings, use the profile system instead.
horst.w

greghuber wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm
Every time I use the configuration assistant to switch printers,
... that is not needed if you work with your own Factory-Files so as I do it.

Impoting a factory-file add this settings to the profile-list. To identify what profil is what printer (or strange import from this and other forums) I "Save it as new" and start the name with the printers name, followed from the material main properties:

i.e.
Mankati-GeeeTec-grey
Anet-PLA-green

S3D opened once I can switch between the profiles and to all special settings, the properties of the printers are also changed.
To keep controle over all I look after profil changing only to the Tab GCode where the dimensions of the print beds are set:

-Mankati 250 x 250 x 290
- Anet 220 x 220 x 200

Export the factory-files step by step when using the different printers to a own folder of clear named files and everytime you want to use a certain printer with its special profile you must use the "Open Factory option" in Tab File, only 1 time for each printer. For the 2nd time it is stored and you only need to switch between the profils.
The option "Save and Restore ..." in Tab Tools must be checked on when work with new factory-files. After closing and reopen the program all profiles will be kept.
The first opening of a strange factory create a new profil named "Default" >>> Save as New ...
Creating a totally new profil for a printer (i.e. new material) it suffers to "save as new" directly, but your factory-file-list is not complete, it needs to export it via the "Save as ... option".

Regards
horst.w
GER
Factory-Profiles.png
greghuber

rrdavis wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:22 am You should be saving any permanent settings in the PROFILE system (i.e. using the "Save As New" or "Update Profile" buttons). There's a good video that explains how those work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7HFPY1wog

Processes on the other hand are intended to be temporary items that you setup for a specific print. So there are lots of things in the software that will change or remove processes depending on what print configuration you are doing (dual extrusion wizard, variable settings, etc).

So again, if you want to save permanent settings, use the profile system instead.
Great, thanks for the information. I didn't know that all the details would be saved in the Profile. It looks like I already have some profiles saved, so it's possible some of my settings are in there.
greghuber

horst.w wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:41 am
Export the factory-files step by step when using the different printers to a own folder of clear named files and everytime you want to use a certain printer with its special profile you must use the "Open Factory option" in Tab File, only 1 time for each printer. For the 2nd time it is stored and you only need to switch between the profils.
The option "Save and Restore ..." in Tab Tools must be checked on when work with new factory-files. After closing and reopen the program all profiles will be kept.
The first opening of a strange factory create a new profil named "Default" >>> Save as New ...
Creating a totally new profil for a printer (i.e. new material) it suffers to "save as new" directly, but your factory-file-list is not complete, it needs to export it via the "Save as ... option".

Regards
horst.w
GER

Factory-Profiles.png
Thanks, this gives me some ideas on how to do it. I will have to experiment and see if I can get the different factory files working. I like the idea of naming each printer profile, that will make it easier to remember and find.
Derrick

I also use about 10 different printers. The printer profiles are a joke. I can't imagine anyone using this efficiently unless you have only two printers and they're just two different versions of iPrusa or something.

The way I organize my profiles is save a factory file for each printer, and when I switch printers, I open the new factory file. I usually also have 2-3 printer profiles constantly up on one machine (pretty much permanently till I do my monthly restart), and usually have these computers dedicated for slicing for those specific machines.

Pick your poison.
KDan

If you want to capture everything, you need more than the FFF profile. You also want to export the Firmware Configuration (.frm file). Go into Tool/Firmware Configuration and select Export.
Instrumentation

KDan wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 pm If you want to capture everything, you need more than the FFF profile. You also want to export the Firmware Configuration (.frm file). Go into Tool/Firmware Configuration and select Export.
THANK YOU!!
I was about ready to dedicate one computer to slicing for the Makerbot Replicator 2 with its gcode commands and one to slicing the new Modix Big-60 with its RepRap gcode commands.

Switching between .factory files for the two printers wasn't updating the list of commands correctly. Actually, it would always switch to the Makerbot configuration automatically, but it would not switch back to RepRap when opening a corresponding factory file. I was afraid I was going to have to constantly run the configuration assistant.

I mean, I get that 3D printers are piles of virtually infinite variables, but the process of tracking tweaks to processes, profiles, auto-configure options, and factory files is so painful.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”