arebar

Under extrusion in auto high quality while perfect in auto medium

I have been working min this issue for many hours, and can't find the right answer. I do understand that my problem probably is under extrusion - but why?
When I print with the automatic medium setting, all is ok. The print is perfect. The lines are correct thickness and the bed height looks to be perfect Prints are great!
When I advance it to high - no other settings changed; the lines are very thin causing a significant gap between them and no go print. But the ONLY thing I can see change from medium to high setting is tok and and bottom solid layers (from 3 to 4 on both) and infill from 20% to 30%. Nothing else seems to be changing.

So why does it then all of a sudden start to extrude less? I realise I can adjust it, but since no extruder settings are changed I feel it would be wrong to compensate.

The darker print is ion medium setting, the lighter on high setting. No other changes. I went back and forth a few times to make sure it wasn't a coincidence. I'm using the same filament.
Attachments
File 05-03-2018, 22 10 52.jpeg
rrdavis

Re: Under extrusion in auto high quality while perfect in auto medium

Well if all you're looking at is the very first layer, then it is almost definitely related to your nozzle position.

So if the nozzle is too high, then follow the instructions here:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... to-the-bed
boovya

I’m having the same issue. Bed adhesion can’t be the issue, level bed can’t be the issue cuz it works on medium settings. So at fine layer heights, do you need to change the nozzle offset every time you change? What sense would that make? I hope that isn’t the case
rrdavis

boovya wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm Bed adhesion can’t be the issue, level bed can’t be the issue cuz it works on medium settings.
Bed leveling absolutely CAN still be the issue! When you print at lower layer heights, the first layer will be more sensitive to small errors in the nozzle position. So it's very common that you won't notice a slightly mis-calibrated first layer height with 0.3 or 0.2mm slices, but when you go to 0.1 or 0.05mm, it becomes very visible and you need to perfect the positioning first.
boovya

Even when you print with a raft where the layer thickness is still large? Doesn’t make sense.

I’m saying if you print with a raft at medium and it sticks...you print at lower layer heights and it doesn’t I’m thinking it isn’t bed adhesion. Fair assessment?
rrdavis

boovya wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:15 am Even when you print with a raft where the layer thickness is still large? Doesn’t make sense.

I’m saying if you print with a raft at medium and it sticks...you print at lower layer heights and it doesn’t I’m thinking it isn’t bed adhesion. Fair assessment?
No, that is still incorrect. In fact, a raft would be even more tolerant to small unevenness in the bed or incorrect nozzle position. It's so thick that it will be more forgiving of these errors (this is the exact reason why a raft is used).

So again, it is very common that you won't see these issues until you reduce the layer height, since smaller layers require VERY precise bed and nozzle positioning. Thicker layers are much more forgiving.

But anyways, I'm just trying to help and you are welcome to troubleshoot this problem however you want
boovya

I think we are saying the same thing no?
I’m saying if you run a raft at medium and it sticks it’s forgiving to the bed level. I get that part that’s why I’m saying I’m havjng a hard time seeing how bed adhesion is a factor.

A raft will be forgiving at medium or at high quality because the of the thickness of the raft.

So I guess I’m saying if the raft is the same on both medium and high it can’t be bed adhesion right?
rrdavis

boovya wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 am I think we are saying the same thing no?
No, apparently not. Maybe someone else can explain it...
boovya

I think I see what you’re saying. I was under the assumption that if it is not level and you created a raft the imperfections of the level would dissipate.

I was thinking about the potential that one side of the print was closer to the bed this leading to an under extruded line height.

I was assuming that the parallelism is inherited when the nozzle tip lays down essentially the upper limit of maximum material condition? Granted the layer adheres to bed.
withoutbliss

Having the same issue with high quality prints under extruding. Anyone find a fix for this issue?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”