bray.christopher

Triangle Infill

I decided to give Triangle infill a try.

The second and third infill pass makes the whole build plate vibrate as the print head passes over the lines before it.

Am I using this wrong?

I assume Grid does the same thing to a lesser extent.

Is Triangle and Grid infill worth it? All of this vibration can't be good for the printer, right?
jevs

Re: Triangle Infill

I have the same problem. This really bounces things around and makes some racket. It does not seem good for things. On a big print I think there is potential to lose steps if it hangs up.
What is the proper way to set up triangular infill?
arhi

must calibrate extrusion rate
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
jevs

arhi wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:58 pm must calibrate extrusion rate
This has nothing to do with extrusion rate. It is intersecting 3 lines on the same layer. The extrusion rate is correct.

The only way I see around this if you want to use triangle infill is to make it print each side of the triangle pattern on different layers. So, it takes 3 layers to complete a pattern of triangles. There is a check box to make this happen.

If they wanted to print the complete triangle pattern on one layer, the extrusion needs to stop when it is intersecting or something, but it does not seem to be setup for that. The second and third lines making up the second and third sides of the triangles, just rams through the previous line where they intersect. You basically end up with 3 thicknesses of extrusion smashed on one layer where the 3 lines intersect. When it does this you can hear and see the vibration/stuttering sound as it hits the intersections (on the second and third lines of the layers infill).
arhi

jevs wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am This has nothing to do with extrusion rate. It is intersecting 3 lines on the same layer. The extrusion rate is correct.
if the extrusion rate was correct, correct amount of plastic would be placed and there would be no reason for the head to touch anything as it's going a layer height above those lines... if you are touching them, your machine needs calibration
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
youngObi-Wan

I believe what Arhi is eluding to is that if extrusion rate is working correctly and layer height is perfectly managed, the nozzle will be above where the infill is printed. If the infill being printed on the same layer is not able to be passed over with a small overlap or with a travel move in general then extrusion rate is slightly too high.

My suggestion would be to make a small adjustment to infill extrusion width % (lower the percentage a few steps) if this is a problem in your prints.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
jevs

You guys are giving bad advice here. The lines are not printing on the layer above. All 3 sets of angled lines to form full triangles are on the same level and they intersect each other. Please try this before you give advice.
This has nothing to do with extrusion rate.
The only way I see to not have 3 intersecting lines and the stuttering etc. is to force it to only print one side of the triangles per layer. There is a check box for this! However, if you want the triangles to be fully formed on each layer, then the nozzle is going to hit the other lines on the 2nd and 3rd set of lines (again all printed on the same layer for those that keep not understanding this). This is what creates the stutter and noise that the original poster and myself saw happening.
For whatever reason the way S3D does it, it does not pause extrusion at the intersection or try to form the triangles in a way other than 3 sets of straight lines.
If you want to visualize this, just slice a model with triangular infill and zoom in on a layer with fully formed triangles on the single layer. You will see that 3 lines on the same layer intersect each other plain as day. Therefore at every intersections you have triple the extruded plastic. Ramming through on the 2nd and 3rd set of lines (again all on the same layer height) is where the stuttering and noise happens.
youngObi-Wan

I've used triangle infill successfully. The suggestion I gave earlier (Lower infill extrusion width %) is what I've personally used to not get stuttering or noise.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
jevs

youngObi-Wan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:25 am I've used triangle infill successfully. The suggestion I gave earlier (Lower infill extrusion width %) is what I've personally used to not get stuttering or noise.
I do see how this would help. So there is less plastic to overcome during the collisions :) I wonder if the S3D programmers could form the triangles in a better way than 3 sets of straight lines or maybe time a pause in the extrusion on the second and third line sets where the intersection occurs...
arhi

jevs wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am You guys are giving bad advice here. The lines are not printing on the layer above. All 3 sets of angled lines to form full triangles are on the same level and they intersect each other. Please try this before you give advice.
I'm using triangle infill quite often with PETG as its semi transparent and triangle infill looks nice to me... I *never* had this issue, and machine is printing behind my back non stop and I hate noises, I'd hear it but I never did, probbly the springs in bed and nozzle geometry made it not have issues with that infill type; but yes, you are right, for some reason s3d does go "trough" them, so yes, my suggestion was wrong .. weird that they do so ?!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”