omikoron

Look for help on fine detail distortions

I'm running a Qidi Tech 1, and using the help guide I've zeroed in settings as much as I can seemingly. I'm still incredibly new to this - both software and 3d printing in general - and outside of printing two at one time I've toggled temperatures and speeds up and down to get it to the point it's at now. I'm looking for advice on just how to get the tips of this spear to come out un-mangled however. I've included images of the progress I have achieved following the support guide (in part to show that I have at least tried) but also to show the garbled tips in a more visual way than my words. A picture of the supports for the spear that I've put in follows those, in case for some reason the supports are the reason.

Try 4 / 5 / 6
Try 4 / 3 / 2 / 1
Supports

Trial 6 came out a bit brittle, so the attempt at lowering the temp further wasn't a great idea. Trial 5 was with a slower speed (thinking it would give it more time to cool), and that turned out quite not well. 4, which is probably the best or one of the best thus far, was adding in a higher fan and slow down on layers of less than 10 seconds. The only thing I haven't tried that's in the recommendations at this point is the printing of two copies of it at once. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as since one of the big things I can see myself doing is printing off miniatures for self use. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Updated image locations in hopes of fixing display issue.
omikoron

Re: Look for help on fine detail distortions

Image links are still seemingly being a bit salty, So I'll just post a link to the image account instead.
https://imgur.com/a/FOLvI
youngObi-Wan

I'd agree number 4 looks the best. If you share your factory file, you may get more specific suggestions for working with cooling and printing parts as small as these miniatures.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
omikoron

Alright, I've exported the FFF so hopefully this link will work and all of that (unlike the photos that took three tries).

Edit: Removed file due to being the incorrect file
Last edited by omikoron on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dkightley

Like many inexperienced users, you have fallen into the trap of thinking a factory file is the exported profile settings file with a suffix .fff. This is in fact just the profile settings...and not the factory file.

A factory file contains the model being printed and all of the printer and extrusion settings. It is created from the File menu.....Save Factory file. The suffix of a factory file is .factory
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
omikoron

Indeed I have. Thanks for straightening me up - I've gotten rid of the other file as I assume that's not needed, and this should lead to the factory file in it's most current form that I've used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujk7uv2jwc67j ... ctory?dl=0
youngObi-Wan

omikoron wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am Indeed I have. Thanks for straightening me up - I've gotten rid of the other file as I assume that's not needed, and this should lead to the factory file in it's most current form that I've used.
I'd try increasing the minimum layer time where cooling speeds start being applied. Then also reduce the minimum speed change allowed. Ultimately, the issue I see with #4 is that the tip of the spear my be getting printed too fast, as this minimum speed was only allowing it to get slowed to 1800 mm/min.

Maybe try the settings pictured? 25 seconds and 30% speed?
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
omikoron

youngObi-Wan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am
omikoron wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am Indeed I have. Thanks for straightening me up - I've gotten rid of the other file as I assume that's not needed, and this should lead to the factory file in it's most current form that I've used.
I'd try increasing the minimum layer time where cooling speeds start being applied. Then also reduce the minimum speed change allowed. Ultimately, the issue I see with #4 is that the tip of the spear my be getting printed too fast, as this minimum speed was only allowing it to get slowed to 1800 mm/min.

Maybe try the settings pictured? 25 seconds and 30% speed?
I'll give it a shot and report back the results when I get the chance.
omikoron

Trial number 7. Bottom of the spear looks like rubbish, but at some point it's support decided to fall over so I can't blame the settings entirely on that - I did let it run until the end to see how the top of the spear would come out.

Oddly, the loin-flap came out in a more accurate shape than it has in some of the more recent previous trials, but the sword on his left hip only graced me with half of it's presence.

Also, I feel like I should probably note the settings I'm using in the project is the PLA Thingiverse option (which I've thus tampered with to get it more fine tuned than it initially was, and just left the name to distinguish it in my head), since it just dawned on me that the project file includes all of the options I mucked around with down there.
Roguenorm

So I have been trying to do the exact same thing with my Qidi Tech 1! I've managed to get the settings dialed in pretty well for single extrusion high resolution (0.1 mm) prints without supports. Take a look at the images I've posted here.

I have also attached my factory file. Two things to note with that. 1) the "force retraction between layers" in the Advanced tab is turned on. This may have helped, but also resulted in the the filament getting stripped a lot of times and prints failing. I would turn it off. 2) I was using the right extruder for these prints because my left extruder closer to the fan was having issues. Likely better to switch it to the left extruder.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use PVA as support for the minis. THAT is not going nearly so well. ;)
Attachments
Savage Orcs-forPost.factory
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
P_20180331_184224_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”