gchaconxiix

Re: Qidi X-Smart poor quality

Okay so here is my current situation... I can print these spikes out but only at a very low temperature. I start it off at 185c for the first layer, and then have it go down each layer by 5c until it reaches 155c. That is the only way I can achieve that print without really bad stringing. However, I attempted to print out a figurine (It is a Dungeons & Dragons figurine of a goblin), and it failed badly. The arm it was printing stuck to the nozzle and failed to print out at all. So I assume this is due to the extremely low temperature. I have a feeling that something is wrong with the temperature sensor, so I am going to purchase an infrared laser thermometer (Hopefully today) and see if I can get a reading of what the actual temperature is.

Also, I attempted to do an extruder calibration. I marked the filament at the base of the extruder and measured out 150mm and marked it there. I sent a command to extrude 100mm of filament at 30 mm/s, and after measuring, it extruded about 96.5mm. So it is underextruding a bit? From what I have been reading, I need to change the extruder steps per mm, but I have no idea how to do that. Would anybody know how I would go about that?

As for the optimal temperature, I will be trying that and will get back to you once I figure that out, as well as measurements from the thermometer. I really appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me. Some people also recommend I do the whole 20mm cube measurement and change the offsets until it measures exactly 20mm with a caliper. Is this a good idea? I wont lie, this has become somewhat frustrating, but I won't give up until I figure all of this out. :mrgreen:
horst.w

" ... so I am going to purchase an infrared laser thermometer ... "

I' sorry, but that is a wasted investment. With a IR-Thermometer you can not messure real temperatures on a heat bloc. I regret that very much because I own two appliances. Whats fine for exhaust manifolds on my motorcycles doesn't run for the 3D-printer. There you need a calibrated measurement device similar to a digital multimeter and the sensor works like the sensor of the printer.
With the IR you must take a loss of +/- 20 or 30 degrees. But make your own experiences.

H.
dkightley

I've been following this thread and I'm totally confused.

You start by using one of the almost impossible to print test pieces that is designed for very fine tuning of the extruder settings. I wrongly assumed you were 100% happy with the basic extruder settings....and that you were wanting to fine tune things.

You then start winding temperatures up and down to compensate for the points getting smaller and smaller...to a point where a relatively simple print fails probably because the plastic seems to be not hot enough.

Now, you reveal that you haven't even got your basic extruder settings correct! You're doing things...as far as I can see. in reverse order!

It seems that you may not have the extruder steps per mm for at least one of the axes......something that should be the very first thing to check and get set up right. You've identified the z steps are wrong. You really ought to check the x and y steps as well....and then get all three set correctly.

Then you need to get your initial extrusion multiplier set by printing a test cube and checking that 20mm x 20mm is actually 20mm x 20mm! Once you get that far....then you can start looking at the surface finish..

And as Horst has suggested.....forget about buying an infrared thermometer just to measure the temperature filament comes out the extruder. The temperature your printer prints best at is the temperature it prints best at....not 200, or 210, or 220,,or any value the printer indicates! Once you get the basics right, you'll be able to do a few test prints with different temperature "settings" to find out what indicated temperature is right for you.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
gchaconxiix

dkightley wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm I've been following this thread and I'm totally confused.

You start by using one of the almost impossible to print test pieces that is designed for very fine tuning of the extruder settings. I wrongly assumed you were 100% happy with the basic extruder settings....and that you were wanting to fine tune things.

You then start winding temperatures up and down to compensate for the points getting smaller and smaller...to a point where a relatively simple print fails probably because the plastic seems to be not hot enough.

Now, you reveal that you haven't even got your basic extruder settings correct! You're doing things...as far as I can see. in reverse order!

It seems that you may not have the extruder steps per mm for at least one of the axes......something that should be the very first thing to check and get set up right. You've identified the z steps are wrong. You really ought to check the x and y steps as well....and then get all three set correctly.

Then you need to get your initial extrusion multiplier set by printing a test cube and checking that 20mm x 20mm is actually 20mm x 20mm! Once you get that far....then you can start looking at the surface finish..

And as Horst has suggested.....forget about buying an infrared thermometer just to measure the temperature filament comes out the extruder. The temperature your printer prints best at is the temperature it prints best at....not 200, or 210, or 220,,or any value the printer indicates! Once you get the basics right, you'll be able to do a few test prints with different temperature "settings" to find out what indicated temperature is right for you.
Yea ill admit, i have made things really confusing even for myself. I am still new to all of this and have been confused about what exactly to do. So im going to take a step back and start from the beginning as if i just unpacked this printer. The only thing im confused about is how to change the steps per mm as from what I keep seeing, it looks confusing. Its probably just me.

Oh and thanks for telling me not to get the ir thermo as i almost did lol im really sorry for all the confusion, this is all still new to me.
youngObi-Wan

This should help with re-calculating steps/mm Link! Depending on firmware you might be able to simply send a g-code to update the stepping values with an M92 command. Though with a name like X-Smart you'd think the LCD would have controls for the stepping values.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
gchaconxiix

youngObi-Wan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am This should help with re-calculating steps/mm Link! Depending on firmware you might be able to simply send a g-code to update the stepping values with an M92 command. Though with a name like X-Smart you'd think the LCD would have controls for the stepping values.
I was actually following a tutorial similar to this. My only issue was that i was unable to get the current steps per mm. Sending M503 returns nothing except for an "ok". Some people say it is due to a locked Eeprom. Would you know how I would go about getting the current steps per mm, or if there is a way to get the m503 working?

Thanks man you have been very helpful! :D
horst.w

That seems similar to my Mankati,
there I have a menue-point on the LCD : Control >>> Motion >>> Steps per Unit (clear text) .... what I can change by turning the knob, after this I must confirm with >>> Save Settings or go back with >>> factory-Settings.

H.
gchaconxiix

All I have on this printer is a "fancy" LCD touchscreen that gives me no options besides manually moving the X Y and Z positions, and to level the bed. Otherwise it seems completely useless other than selecting a file from usb to print. It is similar (Probably the same) to the Qidi Tech X-pro.
youngObi-Wan

gchaconxiix wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:41 pm All I have on this printer is a "fancy" LCD touchscreen that gives me no options besides manually moving the X Y and Z positions, and to level the bed. Otherwise it seems completely useless other than selecting a file from usb to print. It is similar (Probably the same) to the Qidi Tech X-pro.

Glad I can be of some help. I'm not familiar with the firmware on that machine, so I might say ask the manufacturer if there is a way to check/set the steps through G-Code commands. The X-Pro I've used has an email address accessible in the LCD menu for aftersales support for the machine. Try getting ahold of them there.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
gchaconxiix

youngObi-Wan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:03 pm
gchaconxiix wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:41 pm All I have on this printer is a "fancy" LCD touchscreen that gives me no options besides manually moving the X Y and Z positions, and to level the bed. Otherwise it seems completely useless other than selecting a file from usb to print. It is similar (Probably the same) to the Qidi Tech X-pro.

Glad I can be of some help. I'm not familiar with the firmware on that machine, so I might say ask the manufacturer if there is a way to check/set the steps through G-Code commands. The X-Pro I've used has an email address accessible in the LCD menu for aftersales support for the machine. Try getting ahold of them there.
I have contacted them, now awaiting a response. Thank you again!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”