mmoerders

Hull of model looks like spaghetti for Ultimaker 2+

Hey folks,
I recently purchased Simplfy3D. I had quite some trouble with the support structures generated by Cura, the standard slicer for my Ultimaker 2+. And so far I have to say, yes, the S3D supports are waaay better :)

Nevertheless I noticed that the general printing quality of the model itself is actually worse than the one generated by Cura, even thogh I selected the preinstalled UM2+ printer profile in S3D. The overall hull of the model looks much more like spaghetti, you can see each layer pretty clearly. When I printed something with Cura instead the hull looked much more like a solid piece, having a pretty smooth surface.

So do you know any page on the internet that gathers better configurated S3D profiles for the UM2+? Or can you tell me your settings if you think they are superior? Or is there maybe an easy and userfriendly way to get all your profile settings from Cura into S3D?

Iit would be a shame if I now need to spend hours on end tinkering around with S3D until it comes even close to what I am used with Cura. But I hardly doubt that I am the first one to notice this, there's got to be a solution to this already. I guess I just haven't found it already ... And so I would be very happy if you could help me out! :)

Kind regards,
Marius
rrdavis

Re: Hull of model looks like spaghetti for Ultimaker 2+

It might help if you posted some photos of your print. That would make it much easier to provide suggestions.
youngObi-Wan

I too would like to see photos of your prints. Also, sharing your factory file, can help everyone get a look at the model and the preview of how your settings are applied to it.
“I have the high ground.” - my printer when auto-leveling decides the bed is 10mm above where it actually sits
mmoerders

Yeah you have a point.

I come back to this as soon as I made some proper photos of the prints. Taking some quick shots with the smartphone won't do it justice. I try to find the time during the weekend.

PS: The Admin changed the title of my post. "Hull of model looks like spaghetti" is really waaaayyy too dramatic. It is not THAT bad. But the quality is so far worse that I would actually go back to using Cura if I can't fix it. Anyway, let's continue with the discussion once I got the photos.

By the way, what exactly is the "factory file". I can just assume that it's kind of an overview of the print parameters I am using? Could you please tell me exactly what you mean and where I get it so I can share it with you guys?

Thanks a lot!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”