airscapes

String at end of print, opposite corner all mucked up

So I have about 2 dozen solid calibration squares. I'm about burnt out of ideas on what setting to change.
Tried wipe with different lengths, Coast with different lengths, single extrude endpoint extension distance, retraction speed, force retraction on layer change, direction inside out and outside in and probably a few others I have forgotten about.

Corner where print ends leave a divot with a string tail. opposite corner is all mucked up. want to change the start point to the center of the square rather then the corner but can not figure out what to enter into the x y entry of the choose starting point.. no matter what i enter t stays the same.
When optometrist is chosen it is the same, when random is picked it has zits all around and still the corner is messed up.

The picture is the last print of the night and was done outside in which seems to have improved things a little as corner is now a straight dent rather than all over the place. and the dent and tail are less than inside out direction. I really think this is the zit issue and they are all in one spot as not randomized.. Rest of square has nice corners and edges
tail.jpg
corner.jpg
zemlin

Re: String at end of print, opposite corner all mucked up

You cannot completely eliminate the point where the filament stops printing on the outside of the part. You can work to minimize the retraction marks but you will have a small blip and normally some ringing at that point as well. I have had a few parts that printing with near perfect exterior surfaces. I sliced with S3D 4.0 and RANDOM start points. 4.0 starts each perimeter layer at a random point so the cumulative impact of the start point from layer to layer is eliminated. 4.01 uses the same point for all perimeters on that layer so the start point is more noticeable.

In the retraction settings, COAST will stop the extruder before the end of the motion. that can reduce the blip at the end of the line. Wipe can also help as the extruder doesn't stop.
airscapes

zemlin wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:23 am You cannot completely eliminate the point where the filament stops printing on the outside of the part. You can work to minimize the retraction marks but you will have a small blip and normally some ringing at that point as well. I have had a few parts that printing with near perfect exterior surfaces. I sliced with S3D 4.0 and RANDOM start points. 4.0 starts each perimeter layer at a random point so the cumulative impact of the start point from layer to layer is eliminated. 4.01 uses the same point for all perimeters on that layer so the start point is more noticeable.

In the retraction settings, COAST will stop the extruder before the end of the motion. that can reduce the blip at the end of the line. Wipe can also help as the extruder doesn't stop.
4.1 has a selection for random so the zits are all around the the part.. I guess I am just looking for more than the medium can deliver.. I entered this with out really knowing what the limitations are.. I did know the surface was rough.. MG Factory print of their bracelet I assume uses vase mode as it is a single wall hollow object and looks really freaking great.. setting my expectations too high. My assume is vase mode only works with hollow objects? Being an obsessive perfectionist can be a bad thing with imperfect mediums..
zemlin

airscapes wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 pm 4.1 has a selection for random so the zits are all around the the part.
Yes, 4.1 has the option, but it doesn't work the same as 4.0. And yes, the process is not perfect. You need to learn to live with some minor imperfections with FDM printing.
Ayres3D

zemlin wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:12 pm
airscapes wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 pm 4.1 has a selection for random so the zits are all around the the part.
Yes, 4.1 has the option, but it doesn't work the same as 4.0. And yes, the process is not perfect. You need to learn to live with some minor imperfections with FDM printing.
In what way is it different? I wasn't aware that it was (not doubting you).
zemlin

Ayres3D wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:48 am In what way is it different? I wasn't aware that it was (not doubting you).
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9039
airscapes

zemlin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:58 am
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9039
Any word on the next fix release?
Is version 4.0 still available for download?
dkightley

Any word on the next fix release?
We never ever get any warning about anything to do with updates....ever!
Is version 4.0 still available for download?
If you sign into your account, you can get to the download page....where you will see that you can download v4. But it's not v4...it's v4.0.1.

And that's all you'll get! And you'll have to get used to it like the rest of us!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”