JustinDS89

First Layer Incosistent

Hello!

My bed appears to be uneven slightly as some spots are too far away and some spots are too close. I have went through the leveling process many times and I think it's about as level as it's going to get.

Without replacing the bed or something like that, is it possible to adjust the first layer settings to help with the unevenness of the bed?

Right now my primary layer height is 0.1 mm and first layer height is 200% and I use auto extrusion width and an extrusion multiplier of 1.

Any help would be appreciated as a lot of my prints come out not looking very good strictly because of the initial layer or two.
zemlin

Re: First Layer Incosistent

If the issue is with your build surface, fix the build surface.

Either that or mod your machine to use auto-leveling.
JustinDS89

I plan on putting a new glass plate on the bed if that is actually the problem at some point in time, but not sure if that is the cause or not for certain.

My machine has auto-leveling which I suppose could actually be the issue if it is not leveling properly.

I plan on trying it without the auto-leveling and see if the results are the same to test what exactly is causing it.

For the time being though it would be nice to be able to adjust the first layers settings differently to better help with the situation until I can figure out and fix what is actually causing this.

Any help as far as what settings are recommended would be appreciated as that is something I am not to sure on.

Thanks for the reply.
zemlin

You already have your first layer at 200% - if that's not enough, try a raft.
JustinDS89

Okay, I was trying to avoid a raft. I may end up having to go that route for now though.

I don't really like how the print looks when using a raft, but at least the first layer would look consistent.
dkightley

If your printer bed is so uneven that it's affecting the appearance of the first layer, then the only solution is to get a new bed!

But do you really mean that the bed has an uneven surface? Or are you saying that the bed may be flat....but one corner is lower than it's diagonally opposite corner? Which is something totally different!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
JustinDS89

dkightley wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 pm If your printer bed is so uneven that it's affecting the appearance of the first layer, then the only solution is to get a new bed!

But do you really mean that the bed has an uneven surface? Or are you saying that the bed may be flat....but one corner is lower than it's diagonally opposite corner? Which is something totally different!
It actually appears to be uneven, but I'm wondering if the auto level process is actually getting things out of adjustment instead of helping.

There will be spots that are too close and spots that are too far away. It doesn't really appear to be that one corner or side is lower. I think I have the bed leveled properly.
airscapes

can we see a picture of the extruded results? Just wondering if the nozzle is too close and or having an extrude issue..
First thing I would do is set the layer to .2 your multiplier to default for whatever plastic you are using and print a square that is 2mm tall and your extruder width.. Then measure the height and width.. if your starting height is correct and your are extruding the proper mount the width will be .4mm and be 2mm tall.

The attached file for .4mm width that should print .4 thick and 2mm tall ,you can use vase mode to print it.
Let us know what you find.
Attachments
26x26x.4x2.stl
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
mellons

If you happen to have a machine that uses Marlin for firmware, you can use UBL which will solve the problem. I'm not 100% if UBL is Marlin specific or the creator ported it to other firmware's. You can also try heading over to your hardware store and getting a piece of glass cut, or walmart for a picture frame close to your bed dimensions.

Just some extra ideas.
NitroXpress

Why not using a seperate process for the first Layer with 0,2mm ?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”