airscapes

Raft Separation distance

Working on printing 28mm miniatures for a coworker as a learning experience for the printer, filament an S3D.
Got good results with PLA using a Raft and multiple process, but PLA is way to brittle and I was constantly breaking off hands and arms removing supports.

Working with ABS I have not been able to get the same level of detail but the arms are not breaking off!

I am currently trying to dial in temp and speed with ABS but a problem that has been presenting itself time to time even with PLA is that I am loosing adhesion of supports and the base of the model where it attaches to the raft.. There is a setting for the separation distance which I guess controls how high off the surface of the raft the first layer is "Dropped" to allow for less adhesion at removal time? With a layer thickness of .1 any one have a rule of thumb they start with. Default is .18 and I have just dropped it to .15 but thinking that was not a large enough change ..

Also any tips on ABS temp and supper fine detail.. I would love to be able to use the fan for the top 5 mm of the model but that worked well once and the next time warped off the the raft.. grrr.. :D

I have attached the factory file of what is currently printing and has not lost the base yet but still early.. Dropped it back to a single process to get this issue fixed and I can't seem to get better results with rally slow speeds so not much point in multiple processes atm ..

growing hord.jpg
gobABS-240-1-processV6sih.factory
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
Attachments
failed again.jpg

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”