tcmeyers

Updating STL sources in multiple-model factory files?

I have a factory file that has 8 models on the build plate which need to be printed as a set. They are odd-shaped so the automatic center-and-arrange does not do a good job. I've made a minor change to each of the STL files and I'd like to simply replace the prior versions without changing their position... but removing and adding a new model rearranges everything and the perfect positioning is lost. Is there a way to just swap in the updated STL source for each. Or, is there a way to turn off the automatic center-and-arrange? Duplicating or Importing STLs always triggers it, messing up my placements.
Joey

Re: Updating STL sources in multiple-model factory files?

The software isn't gonna compare any new models you import to current models on the bed, but you as the user can make this pretty simple. My recommendation, is to double click the object, grab a pen and paper write down the X-Y-Z coordinates along with the scale/rotation if applicable and then just import the new object and double click it to input those values. Even if you wanted to replace all 8 models on your bed, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes with this method
tcmeyers

Thanks, Joey, can do.

Anyone else know how to turn off the automatic center-and-arrange? It never seems to be my friend even outside of this particular issue.

Troy
Joey

tcmeyers wrote:Thanks, Joey, can do.

Anyone else know how to turn off the automatic center-and-arrange? It never seems to be my friend even outside of this particular issue.

Troy
This is pretty easy, go to Tools in the main window--->options--->models, then there's a box that is checked that says center and arrange models after importing.
tcmeyers

Joey,

That does work for me, but it still does a center-and-arrange if I duplicate one of the models, moving things around that I had "perfected" and did not want to change. Is there a way to turn it of during duplicate as well?

Troy
Joey

tcmeyers wrote:Joey,

That does work for me, but it still does a center-and-arrange if I duplicate one of the models, moving things around that I had "perfected" and did not want to change. Is there a way to turn it of during duplicate as well?

Troy
Not that I know of, you could just import the model multiple times instead of duplicating it.
Joey

tcmeyers wrote:Joey,

Troy
Not that I know of, you could just import the model multiple times instead of duplicating it.
tcmeyers

Joey wrote:Not that I know of, you could just import the model multiple times instead of duplicating it.
I was hoping to not have to recreate the manually placed support, just duplicate it along with the model.

Is there an appropriate place to post feature requests such as this? It seems like you ought to be able to completely turn off the automatic center-and-arrange. Since there is not any "undo" feature, I've been frustrated by this a number of times.

Troy
JoeJ

Tools > Options > Models tab, and disable the option called "Center and arrange models after importing"

It may be Simplify3D > Preferences > .... on the Mac
jrpmedia

The INTIAL idea here really is an issue for lots of production work IMO.

It takes me a long time to place and re-arrange all the objects on the Bed manually.

If I need to remodel (very slightly) one of these objects and replace it (or say 2 or 3 out of 8 objects) then it's a real ball-ache to reposition .. eventually the whole set screws up, even if it is due to Human error on my part #tiredsometimes.

Can there not be a way to replace objects, or reload them from the .s3d folder/file format/zip?

Adobe Illustrator does this very well with 'linking'.
It asks you if you want to update modified files when you open the file ... #excellent

http://forum.simplify3d.com/posting.php ... f=8&t=1160
IDM Imagineering
Professional Equipment for SuperHEROs.
https://www.idmimagineering.co.uk

Return to “Feature Requests”