alpalwal

Print pausing at random intervals

Hey guys, I've been having an issue lately where the print will just pause without warning. After the pause it'll just resume printing like normal. Sometimes it's ~2 seconds, sometimes it's closer to 10. It's happening at random intervals but it's messing up my prints since the stationary nozzle is melting the piece where it's resting. Has anyone else seen this issue?
jsc

Re: Print pausing at random intervals

Can happen when a firmware response is missed. Try always printing from SD card and see if it still happens.
Turtle

I do expect this will be addressed so we can safely print over USB in a future release too right?
AndersE

i have had this bug sometmes also, but only for like 0.5sec max. I am also printing from computer, and i have never had these issues with repetier or cura.
alien2108

Are you on OS X by any chance?

You have to be EXTRA careful then, since OS X 10.9 has App Nap feature and if Simplify3D (or Pronterface....) is not in foreground, Application will pause!!! You can disable App Nap if you open Application properties and select "Prevent App Nap"!
jsc

I have read that it is caused by ground loops; the printer doesn't share ground with the host computer and there is ground bounce on the USB cable. Maybe I'm not understanding that correctly.

Out of curiosity, does your printer share the same power outlet as your printer?
AndersE

It shares outlet for me, non grounded plugs. But as i wrote, i have never had the pauses when printing with repetier or cura.
Coin

Did anyone found a fix for that problem ?
I get the random pause issue using Simplify3d and repetier 0.92 ... then my prints turn to scrap
thanks for any info
JoeJ

it is typically a power supply issue or a cheap USB cable
dibble

alien2108 wrote: Sun May 25, 2014 7:13 am Are you on OS X by any chance?

You have to be EXTRA careful then, since OS X 10.9 has App Nap feature and if Simplify3D (or Pronterface....) is not in foreground, Application will pause!!! You can disable App Nap if you open Application properties and select "Prevent App Nap"!
Nail on the head for me. Disabled appnap globally (s3D is not appnap aware) and problem instantly gone. Thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”