studiokite

Large format 3d printer feature requests

We are currently printing with simplify 3d with a large extruder.

We are able to print up to 1400mm tall and 2200mm x 1000mm at 10000mm/s

Simplify works great and all the figures are adjustable to our scale.

1. Point filtering
Our main problem is that on tight radius the points are extremely close together and we are not able to feed all the points to the robot. We then get pauses and a massive build up of material.
Is it possible to filter out these points? Perhaps average points per mm may work along with maximum points per x distance.
We have been required to model all our files with hard corners and are not able to use fillets.
This could also reduce file size and allow for larger prints

2. Corner and straight line speed variation,
On long runs we get a good amount of material whilst on corners the material wants to pull back in due to the rubbery nature of ABS.

Solid infill at layer 200
I have noticed is that when we get to layer 200 it forces a solid layer of infill when not in spiral vase mode even with solid infill unchecked.

A Weave option,
not too high on the list but we have had some great effects on models that we have printed. Perhaps oscillation of feed rate +-x% per x second would give a great weave appearance.

We are also working on modelling with expansion joints to remedy shrinkage.
andrewk72

Re: Large format 3d printer feature requests

Wow, that's awesome! Those prints must take weeks!

I'm not sure what firmware you are using, but you may be able to increase the buffer size which allows you to handle lots of small moves better since the printer can store and process more commands at once.
studiokite

This part took around 8 hours as we are doing 2mm layers at 8000mm/min. All these settings are available in simplify which is great.

The kuka robot has fixed hardware so we are not able to adjust buffer.

We have a post processor which enables us to filter however it is extremely out of date and not too reliable.

Unfortunately printing so large keeps points which would be more suited to a small print.

We managed to enter this into the local billy cart derby on the weekend.

I am also looking for alternative software that can filter out points and reduce the gcode.
CompoundCarl

Wow, 8 hours is still pretty quick for a part that big!
LeonMF

This tool might be helpful for you:
http://mikk36.eu/SimplifyS3D/

Here's my imperfect osx desktop app that does the same thing: https://github.com/leonmf/S3DFix

It's designed to filter short moves out of the gcode file after it's been generated. It reduces the risk that a bug in the smoothieboard motion planner will be triggered by moves below the resolution of the printer. It seems like this will help with your full buffer problem, too.

Good luck and let me know if this helps!
frform

any chance to share the FFF profile?

did you try with PLA? better results?

thanks!
studiokite wrote: Sun May 15, 2016 8:53 pm This part took around 8 hours as we are doing 2mm layers at 8000mm/min. All these settings are available in simplify which is great.

The kuka robot has fixed hardware so we are not able to adjust buffer.

We have a post processor which enables us to filter however it is extremely out of date and not too reliable.

Unfortunately printing so large keeps points which would be more suited to a small print.

We managed to enter this into the local billy cart derby on the weekend.

I am also looking for alternative software that can filter out points and reduce the gcode.
HSKLSchwicker

Hello studiokite,

we are currently running a similar project using a KUKA robot with an attached extruder to print.
However we are having some trouble getting the data from the G-code to the extruder.

Do you think we could have a little chat as to how you accomplished this task?
I'd be happy to show you my solution and would greatly appreciate your help!

Regards,

Moe

Return to “Feature Requests”